Devialet 170

Diapason

Re: Devialet 170

Post by Diapason »

I had a final listening session last night with no messing around and basically I've enjoyed it more and more as the week has gone on. It's in the boot of the car now, ready for the trip back to Blackrock, and I'm sad to see it go.

Of course, it dawned on me last night that for once I'm not looking at a second-hand product of which there is only one, and that I actually have time to think about this one and buy it at any point in the future. That makes a nice change! Of course, the reduction of a grand for the Air module before September 30th is weighing on my mind, but even still.

Now, I still have some misgivings about some aspects of the sound, but we can discuss that after you've sampled it yourself.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

well it will be difficult for me to evaluate the Devialet on its own as I'll also be listening to the Audioplans. Both unfamiliar to me.
So it will be a whole package that I'll be judging. Since I havent listened to any proper hifi in more than 6 months I'll probably be saying ooooh and ahhhh and thinking it sounds the bees knees.

I cant afford both either!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote:I cant afford both either!
We've never let that stop us before!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
block

Post by block »

Be interested in DaveF second opinion on this, if both you guys are impressed I guess it can be really regarded as high end.

Hopefully if I (somehow) afford one it's going to last me a very very long time.

Diapason from your write up I take it you didn't try connecting to a server or pc as that would be my only planned source (server)?

Will be thinking of trading in my amp, transport, sonos and the rack if they take it 8).....( reminds me of real madrid trying to afford bale)
Is there any way of cloney letting me take the devialet back (cork) maybe taking by cr.card details or something before I buy?
I've bought a pair of speakers and the transport from them but that was about 20 years ago?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

block wrote: Diapason from your write up I take it you didn't try connecting to a server or pc as that would be my only planned source (server)?
I actually did try using my PC via a USB connection, but it's probably the 2nd-most-half-assed test I've ever done (I'll come to the most-half-assed in a second).

Basically, I had about 5 albums ripped to my laptop using EAC. Not having suitable software to play said albums with, I downloaded foobar, installed the relevant drivers and at the very least got it to work, in that sound was coming out of the speakers. In comparison with my CD player the laptop seemed a bit less refined and lacking in bass. HOWEVER, I hadn't a clue what I was doing, I am 100% sure I could have had better settings on foobar itself and I didn't make any effort whatsoever to optimise the PC playback. The experts in the ever-growing dedicated audio PC thread would have been horrified altogether. As such, I can't really claim anything about the Devialet in this regard, except for the fact I was able to make it work as advertised.

The award for most-half-assed test goes to my efforts to test the SPDIF input with a CD transport. I stole my (uber cheap) Sony Blu-ray player from the sitting room, put it at a jaunty angle on a very unstable rug, and attached the digital out on the player to the digital in on the Devialet using an old RCA analogue interconnect that I had lying around. Again, I got sound, and it was pretty good. Again, I thought my own CD player was better, but I can't consider this a conclusive test.

I'm definitely going to borrow the Devialet again at some point and make sure I have a decent transport and, perhaps, a decent PC setup to test how its own DAC sounds. Once again, I curse myself for not getting a Wadia with digital outputs.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote: The award for most-half-assed test goes to my efforts to test the SPDIF input with a CD transport. I stole my (uber cheap) Sony Blu-ray player from the sitting room, put it at a jaunty angle on a very unstable rug, and attached the digital out on the player to the digital in on the Devialet using an old RCA analogue interconnect that I had lying around. Again, I got sound, and it was pretty good. Again, I thought my own CD player was better, but I can't consider this a conclusive test.
Thats a pretty appalling effort alright! :-))
You just didnt wanna believe that it could sound good, did you? :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Now hang on a second, bits is bits, right?? Doesn't matter what I use as a transport, doesn't matter what cable I use, nothing basically matters at all.

Sorry, I'm also discussing this on the 'wam!

:)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote: bits is bits....

........ I'm also discussing this on the 'wam!
brave of you boy!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've no time for the controversial stuff any more. I just don't have the energy for it because ultimately, whether I'm right or they're right or whether I'm deluded or preaching to the deluded, I fundamentally don't care!
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

block wrote:Be interested in DaveF second opinion on this, if both you guys are impressed I guess it can be really regarded as high end.

Hopefully if I (somehow) afford one it's going to last me a very very long time.

Diapason from your write up I take it you didn't try connecting to a server or pc as that would be my only planned source (server)?

Will be thinking of trading in my amp, transport, sonos and the rack if they take it 8).....( reminds me of real madrid trying to afford bale)
Is there any way of cloney letting me take the devialet back (cork) maybe taking by cr.card details or something before I buy?
I've bought a pair of speakers and the transport from them but that was about 20 years ago?

Absolutely. Ivan let me take it up to Belfast for a home dem, even tho I've never bought anything from him before. He took CC details, but didn't even take a deposit.