Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Claus

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Claus »

Just to show what kind of noise a generic 19V laptop power brick CAN introduce.
I thought there was a bad hum off the CJ amp I borrowed from Pearse. I changed the power cord and that removed the hum, but now I could hear a buzz when moving the mouse pointer on the NUC and the nasty "modem sound" of files loading into memory in play! I started unplugging everything systematically until I finally unplugged the PS for the NUC. Listen for yourself here:

I swapped it out for a branded Toshiba from my work laptop. Now I am back to near silence between tracks...
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

John, in Tony's defence he did try to ring you to see if you were ok , when you were inspecting the barrier, but he couldn't get any mobile coverage on Eircom despite being an Eircom technocrat himself.
I use a tag for the tolls due to having previously stopped with a carload of my daughter's friends and flung a handful of change out onto the road to the roars of laughter in the car and beeping from the cars behind me.
Glad everybody enjoyed Meath's finest potholes as well as Nige's pioneering developments.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote:John, in Tony's defence he did try to ring you to see if you were ok , when you were inspecting the barrier, but he couldn't get any mobile coverage on Eircom despite being an Eircom technocrat himself.
I use a tag for the tolls due to having previously stopped with a carload of my daughter's friends and flung a handful of change out onto the road to the roars of laughter in the car and beeping from the cars behind me.
Glad everybody enjoyed Meath's finest potholes as well as Nige's pioneering developments.
KM
Ken, somebody told me that you posted as I don't see your posts now that you are on my "ignore list" :)
Don't worry about it - I'm only joking with you guys!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Claus, sounds like what you are experiencing is a ground loop issue. This can give rise too hum &/or buzzing issues as you have reported. Check if the power brick you are using is earthed i.e the mains plug has an earth connection to mains - some do, some don't. Without earth connection you should not hear hum or buzz.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Claus

Post by Claus »

jkeny wrote:Claus, sounds like what you are experiencing is a ground loop issue. This can give rise too hum &/or buzzing issues as you have reported. Check if the power brick you are using is earthed i.e the mains plug has an earth connection to mains - some do, some don't. Without earth connection you should not hear hum or buzz.
That is indeed the difference between the two supplies! I remember having the same issues in rehearsal studios when some stuff were earthed and some not... Can't wait for a proper supply to land from hdplex... Thanks John!
tony

Post by tony »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YUASA-6V-12V- ... 4ac54ed352

Not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree here but will this do the 5volt supply? Motorcycle battery chargers will do 6 and 12v and provide a very small trickle charge.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Just to chime in, although a bit late! Many thanks to Nigel for his hard work last night, I think there were probably at least 10 swaps back and forth! I too thought the battery shunt was a clear winner. Yes, it was more noticeable on some tracks than others, but it was there. I was impressed with the MQN player too - yes jplay streaming was better, but it still sounded great and if it develops another bit then it could easily catch jplay.

I'm listening to vinyl tonight!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think so Nigel - if there was a motor factors anywhere near you I'd give them a shout, shipping might be dear on them.
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:I think so Nigel - if there was a motor factors anywhere near you I'd give them a shout, shipping might be dear on them.
Fran is that directed at me? If so can't see a motor factors here having a 6v battery. Mountjoy motorcycles would have been the place but they are gone. I know all motorcycles have moved to 12v but reckon there are still running stock requiring replacements. I got a mcycle from the uk and it wasn't too costly but if this type will work on the 5v will check it out locally.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Eist Audio

Post by Eist Audio »

No - to Nigel. Many 6v motobikes still out there, and even a few cars!