Bach Passions recommendations please

Ciaran

Re: Bach Passions recommendations please

Post by Ciaran »

A propos the Brüggen Haydn, the recording contains intermezzi by Ron Ford between the movements:
Attempts have been made to reconstruct the original setting, but in a concert hall, spoken commentary only interferes with the music, even more so on a recording. In respecting this objection, but at the same time desiring to create a meaningful space between the movements, Frans Brüggen invited the Dutch-American composer Ron Ford (Kansas City, 1959) to compose instrumental intermezzi. "This was a real challenge," says Ford. "I looked for a balance between contrast and creating suitable connections.With this sort of commission you have to ask yourself: what haven't we had yet? Haydn is punctual, logical, direct.What is missing is a sense of swell and ebb. I explored that route, with the sound of the Orchestra of the 18th Century in mind.Their breathing style of playing is unique in the world."
I remember hearing about that when this came out, and it's the reason I didn't get it at the time. Can you program out the intermezzi?
james

Post by james »

Thanks for the comments on Rilling .. I should probably think of getting another copy of the Mathew Passion. There is lots of good advice on this thread.
James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Ciaran wrote:A propos the Brüggen Haydn, the recording contains intermezzi by Ron Ford between the movements:
Attempts have been made to reconstruct the original setting, but in a concert hall, spoken commentary only interferes with the music, even more so on a recording. In respecting this objection, but at the same time desiring to create a meaningful space between the movements, Frans Brüggen invited the Dutch-American composer Ron Ford (Kansas City, 1959) to compose instrumental intermezzi. "This was a real challenge," says Ford. "I looked for a balance between contrast and creating suitable connections.With this sort of commission you have to ask yourself: what haven't we had yet? Haydn is punctual, logical, direct.What is missing is a sense of swell and ebb. I explored that route, with the sound of the Orchestra of the 18th Century in mind.Their breathing style of playing is unique in the world."
I remember hearing about that when this came out, and it's the reason I didn't get it at the time. Can you program out the intermezzi?
Yes, of course, you can program them out, but they are so brief that they almost pass unnoticed.
markof

Post by markof »

Got the Harnoncourt St. Matthew in the post yesterday - really love it.

Many thanks for the recommendations.

The packaging has changed but it's the recommended recording all right - marvellous.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

markof wrote:Got the Harnoncourt St. Matthew in the post yesterday - really love it.

Many thanks for the recommendations.

The packaging has changed but it's the recommended recording all right - marvellous.

Mark.
That´s the recording of course, and you can be confident that it´s a truly great recording that will be hard to beat.
ZPC2THLgate

Post by ZPC2THLgate »

I certainly look forward to dipping in and out of that festival of music!