Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

Oliver Nelson wrote the music score and Sonny Rollins was the featured soloist on the first (and best) Alfie film starring Michael Caine. Here is a lovely clip on youtube posted by a man after our own hearts:

This is not a needle drop, the audio was recorded with an external microphone so that you can listen to the way the sound is in the room as the record is being played. To make sure you're listening to the sound with the best audio quality remember to select the highest resolution available (at least 720p HD video if possible) in the video options.

Sonny Rollins - Alfie
Impulse! USA 1966 Stereo A-9111
Matrix Side A: AS-911-A LW VAN GELDER
Matrix Side B: AS-911-B LW VAN GELDER
(Music from the Score / Orchestra Conducted by Oliver Nelson)

System:
Rega P9 turntable with Rega RB1000 tonearm
Goldring 2500 MM Cartridge
Heed Questar MM Phono Stage
Classé CAP-2100 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 805s Speakers on B&W Speaker Stands
BK XLS200-DF MKII Subwoofer (High Level Speakon Connection)
Mission Solid Core Speaker Cable (Bi-Wire not terminated)
Klotz Professional Audio stereo interconects (AC106 & MY206), Neutrik RCA/XLR plugs
Soundcare SuperSpikes here and there...
Upgraded power cables and strip (DIY)
Some room acoustic treatment and careful speaker placement
DIY Turntable Isolation Platform
Oppo BDP-95EU Universal Blu-Ray Player

This video is shown for educational and promotional reasons with the sole purpose of promoting the sale of vinyl records and provide details about the vinyl LP's being played. No violation of copyright is intended, on the contrary, I'm doing my best to promote healthier and more profitable music industry.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Great stuff ...
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:
Image Image

I have always loved Gerry Mulligan's music-making and this is a really splendid concert recorded in Carnegie Hall in 1975. Mulligan, Chet Baker and Bob James feature throughout.

Here is a particularly gorgeous tribute to Billy Strayhorn:
Song for Strayhorn

And a song that became synonymous with Chet Baker:
My Funny Valentine
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:On vinyl....

Lovely stuff Fergus. I am very fond of Bill Evans, do you like his playing? Some don't!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Yes I did enjoy it Seán; somewhat understated Perhaps and not flamboyant enough for some maybe. I have two such LPs and I will give the second one a listen soon.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Yes I did enjoy it Seán; somewhat understated Perhaps and not flamboyant enough for some maybe. I have two such LPs and I will give the second one a listen soon.
I am pleased, his playing is sublime. If you develop a taste for more then you will have to get his 1961 Village Vanguard recordings with the bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian, they are magnificent. The trio was at its peak and was never equalled. LaFaro died in a car accident shortly after the recording. I have always felt that Evans never reached the same level after that. These performances should be in everyone's colection.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you for that Seán; background information is always helpful and appreciated and you are a veritable mine of it!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've been trying to find an SACD copy of the Village Vanguard disc for a while now (Steve has one I think, and I want it!) but unfortunately they now sell for about a million Euro. I might have to buy the normal CD and be done with it.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Gerry D wrote:Great stuff ...

I imagine that's quite .... odd. I'm a big fan of Jah Wobble but I never expected to see him standing in the jazz section!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable