Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Sligolad »

Fran wrote:Pearse - what about wired to the audioPC but wireless to the router and onwards?
That is what I have at the moment on the Laptop Fran when I boot in to Win8 Pro and it works fine but given all the recommendations to remove wireless adaptors from the PC chain I have it off on the Laptop with the server core install.

Just tried JPlay Settings after a note on the JPlay forum about it not opening if it does not see an audio output and it opened OK, never knew it would not open if it did not see an audio output!

Post by Sligolad »

jkeny wrote:Here's one & it comes in a beautifully looking, passively cooled case http://www.cirrus7.com/blog/cirrus7-nim ... se-plan-en
Great find John and looks the part too, might put my name down for that:-)

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
Sligolad wrote:I believe I found a small improvement by going wintogo core server on my laptop but no way of telling for sure without some AB comparisons as it takes too long to switch back and forth.
If I do go the JRiver approach with core server I will have to enable wireless on my laptop for control but I expect having no wireless at the moment helps.

Long term I am looking at building another Zuma like Control PC but I am still looking around at motherboards with dual LAN ports, there are limited options out there so still looking around.
When I do make the change then I can run one LAN port direct to the Audio PC and the other LAN port by cable to my router which will then give me JRemote without the need for wireless.
Here's one & it comes in a beautifully looking, passively cooled case http://www.cirrus7.com/blog/cirrus7-nim ... se-plan-en
nice alright nearly ready made audio pc
still a bit suspect of the thin mini itx boards think id prefer a regular mini itx something like this http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4338#sp
would prob suit pearse with the two realtek lans if the 24pin connector wasn't in the way of the heat pipes on a streacom, maybe there'd be a way round it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Claus

Post by Claus »

Nearly stayed up all night listening to the NUC! Nigel kindly sorted me out with Core Server stick and it ran straight away (thanks again Nigel). I just had to add cd //networkdrive in the command line in totalcmd to get access to my NAS.

The detail is really impressive with great bass and soundstage. I can't wait to get the Ciunas and a regulated linear supply!

On the downside it is very awkward to use in my setup. I can't use my TV as it won't recognise the source which means I have to have a screen connected. Maybe a display driver can be installed if it won't compromise the sound? Otherwise I think I will have to use JRiver with Android app if I can get it to work....
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Claus
Its probably to do with the display resolution not been compatable.
google how to change resolution to what ever your tv is in command prompt as I dont know

Great sound alright
a clean power source and youll be well on the way

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Installed JRiver on the usb stick with server core last night.
Very easy install off JRMC18 using the portable install option from my Win8 boot with the stick in a usb port.
Works fine when I boot off the USB stick and run JRiver.
Have not gone as far as setting up wireless to control it using JRemote, maybe at the weekend to see if it works.

Ordered the Cirrus7 today so this will become my new control PC eventually if everything works OK.
It will be a couple of weeks before I get around to setting it up as I am off on my travels again next week but I will report on how I get on with it once I do get it and set it up.

Sounds like we could have some more developments coming with Server Core judging by Josef's comments today on some strange configuration he stumbled on, awaiting further news.

Post by nige2000 »

Interesting stuff
Must get back on the jplay forum
Cirrus looks great should be a good control pc
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Brought all the audio pc gear down to Dereks last night, Thanks for having me Derek!!

i was curious to hear his turntable and amp and then in turn how my pc held up against the tt
i listened to the turntable and the cd player first,
the TT was as a real good margin ahead of the cd player in nearly all cases, Dynamic range was impressive, seemed thick and flows extremely well.
on first impressions i thought that my core server build should be closer to TT SQ than cd SQ, possibly not just as good as TT.

i was excited to get the pc setup and get comparing

and then............

After many formats and reinstalls my usb3 stick had died. As this never happened before it took me half hour to figure out the fault.

i had a windows 8 ent cad script usb3 key with me,
but compared to core server its more like a space saver spare wheel and not really be at the races at all.

even then we had lost a lot of listening time, but got some comparison to cd
the limping pc in single mode just bet the cd (i had to move closer to the optimum listening position to confirm).

i was disappointed not to have my pc in full working order i should have had a spare.

The evening could have went better but i feel that audio pc shouldn't be that far away from the TT quality.
its just a pity we didn't get a direct comparison.

we will have to get this direct comparison done.

thanks again

nige
Derek

Post by Derek »

Many thanks to Nigel for making the long haul over to mine.

His description is disappointingly accurate, the Audio PC with JK DAC only just inched ahead of the CDP and that was after hours of trying, even with Fran on hand helping out we didn't get anyway close to it’s potential.

The sound stage was bigger but the overall SQ hadn't much on the CDP, top end a bit cleaner, the instruments a bit more defined, but all in all it would be nit picking to discern what differential there was.

Mind you I may have exposed Nigel to the black art of vinyl!

I may need to have the house debugged anything that could go wrong kinda did.
Looking forward to next time
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Hi Derek
it was the ciunas i brought with me,
im fairly confident that core-server on my build will run rings round the CDP
i had my sights on challenging the TT

next time eh!!