What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:my personal view would be to try out Symph Nos 5&6 first... don't give up until you understand his style. these two are generally considered to be amongst his most accessible... then perhaps try No 2 'London'.

I was only thinking earlier on today that it was just over 2 years ago that I borrowed RVW No 3 from the local library, and remembered thinking how turgid, limp and uninspiring it was ... 4 slow movements of almost complete boredom. Now, I think its wonderful... but that's after 30 plus listens, and a determination to understand what it was he was trying to say. Now, the trumpet sound of 'the last post', sends complete shivers down my spine...

Like some of Sibelius' tone poems, much of his music just requires quite a few listens to access the subtleties, which is ironic because initially you can think 'there doesn't sound much to this'
I did not do too badly with my RVW cycle overall as I enjoyed quite a lot of it. It was just the Sea Symphony gave me particular problems. Perhaps I need to apply your advice above coupled with the Haitink to get a better understanding of this particular work. Thanks for your contribution above [wink]
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:.... if you want to give this one another try, the Bernard Haitink version is very dramatic..
Thanks for that Jared....I am always open to trying something new....
my personal view would be to try out Symph Nos 5&6 first... don't give up until you understand his style. these two are generally considered to be amongst his most accessible... then perhaps try No 2 'London'.

I was only thinking earlier on today that it was just over 2 years ago that I borrowed RVW No 3 from the local library, and remembered thinking how turgid, limp and uninspiring it was ... 4 slow movements of almost complete boredom. Now, I think its wonderful... but that's after 30 plus listens, and a determination to understand what it was he was trying to say. Now, the trumpet sound of 'the last post', sends complete shivers down my spine...

Like some of Sibelius' tone poems, much of his music just requires quite a few listens to access the subtleties, which is ironic because initially you can think 'there doesn't sound much to this'
for me Sibelius was an instant hit....but Yawn Williams?....no, 'fraid not.

On a separate note, Jared, it's great to have you back with us lad.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:RVW: 'A Sea Symphony'
I must give this one another try....it is a work that I just cannot appreciate ( which is relatively unusual for me).....all help to appreciate it would be greatfully received!!

I have to admit that I think Vaughan Williams' symphonic cycle stands alongside Sibelius's cycle as one of the great 20th century achievements. Simply beautiful music. My favourite versions are by Andre Previn with the LSO on RCA, Bernard Haitink with the LPO on EMI and Adrian Boult's first cycle in mono on Decca (with the composer in attendance at the recording sessions). It's a great shame that Richard Hickox never lived to complete his complete traversal of the symphonies. With regards to the first symphony, my preference is with Previn.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:.... With regards to the first symphony, my preference is with Previn.
Thank you for that....as you can see I need all of the help that I can get with the Sea Symphony!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote: I have to admit that I think Vaughan Williams' symphonic cycle stands alongside Sibelius's cycle as one of the great 20th century achievements. Simply beautiful music. My favourite versions are by Andre Previn with the LSO on RCA, Bernard Haitink with the LPO on EMI and Adrian Boult's first cycle in mono on Decca (with the composer in attendance at the recording sessions). It's a great shame that Richard Hickox never lived to complete his complete traversal of the symphonies. With regards to the first symphony, my preference is with Previn.
mcq... we haven't met, but I feel I like you a great deal already!... ;-))

anyway, at present:

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No 2
Capriccio Italien
John Lill/ Walter Weller/ Roberto Minczuk/ BBC NOW

BBC Music disk for June 2010... I just LOVE this magazine!
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Cantata BWV135 for the Third Sunday after Trinity....

Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:for me Sibelius was an instant hit....but Yawn Williams?....no, 'fraid not.

Sean... play RVW Symphony No 4, then No 2 back to back, then return and try to defend the word 'yawn'!

anyway, as always, it's good to talk to you, Sean... ;-))
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:JSB – Cantata BWV135 for the Third Sunday after Trinity....

Fergus, there is every chance I will buy these, when they reach 'boxset' status...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:for me Sibelius was an instant hit....but Yawn Williams?....no, 'fraid not.

Sean... play RVW Symphony No 4, then No 2 back to back, then return and try to defend the word 'yawn'!

anyway, as always, it's good to talk to you, Sean... ;-))
Jared, you are definitely wasting your time there with Seán....unless you want to make it a life long project mate [wink, LOL]
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:JSB – Cantata BWV135 for the Third Sunday after Trinity....

Fergus, there is every chance I will buy these, when they reach 'boxset' status...
There is a box set out there already Jared of Gardiner's earlier studio versions of an incomplete cycle he started. The plug was pulled by the recording company and JEG apparently put the finances up himself and went off on the now famous Pilgrimage to record these beauties LIVE. So there is a difference that you should be aware of here.

Incidentally, I don't know whether or not you have noticed that I have now converted Darren....I think that he is hooked....LOL!