Dublin: 24th June: Benjamin Britten's Gloriana

Jared

Dublin: 24th June: Benjamin Britten's Gloriana

Post by Jared »

http://www.imccinemas.ie/film.asp?idfilm=1963

Just a heads up on this one Gents, if any of you are free next Monday night? I shall be seeing it in Worcester...
Seán

Re: Dublin: 24th June: Benjamin Britten's Gloriana

Post by Seán »

I don't think that I will be able to go to it, thanks for the thought Jared.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you for that Jared. As one with a developing interest in the music of Britten I may well attend.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Gloriana is a most misunderstood opera. Mostly because Queen Elizabeth II didn't much care for it and neither did early critics. Britten never recorded it and it is probably the least performed Britten opera. But it is fascinating, tuneful with all the courtly dances, period instruments, great costumes and period sets. I saw it in 2005 in St Louis, which I think was the first US performance, but not sure.

Worth the effort to see a rare work!
Jared

Post by Jared »

DonKC wrote:Gloriana is a most misunderstood opera. Mostly because Queen Elizabeth II didn't much care for it and neither did early critics. Britten never recorded it and it is probably the least performed Britten opera. But it is fascinating, tuneful with all the courtly dances, period instruments, great costumes and period sets. I saw it in 2005 in St Louis, which I think was the first US performance, but not sure.

Worth the effort to see a rare work!
Thank you Don... I had actually never heard of it until I saw it advertised, and am really quite intrigued by the concept, based on the 'relationship' between the elderly Elizabeth I and the Earl of Essex. I will be taking one of my residents, an elderly lady who has a soft spot for the music of BB, so I'm looking forward to it.
Jared

Post by Jared »

well, I'll be off to this tomorrow evening, so no forum input from me I'm afraid...

anyone else taking the trip?
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:well, I'll be off to this tomorrow evening, so no forum input from me I'm afraid...

anyone else taking the trip?
I will not see it, enjoy it and I look forward to your feedback.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Overall, I enjoyed the evening very much. Gloriana tells the story of the 'relationship' between the elderly Queen Elizabeth I and the young Earl of Essex, based on the play by Litton Strachey. It has to be said that it contains a fair amount more historical accuracy than the Bellini & Donizetti versions of British History, but was apparently critically panned in 1953, which is why it is so rarely performed.

This version is set in a town/ village hall in 1953, and I think is quite imaginative. It certainly isn't typical or mainstream Britten (if such a thing exists!) but is certainly very imaginative, and I think Richard Morrison's 3 Star Verdict in the Times is a little harsh. 4 stars from me!
Seán

Post by Seán »

I am glad you enjoyed it Jared, by the way you have gone very quiet on Facebook.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Unfortunately I did not get along to the performance of the opera last week but I actually heard a full performance last Saturday on BBC Radio 3 and I enjoyed it.
The juxtaposition and the interweaving of both the modern and Tudor musical idioms was really interesting and the resulting orchestral textures were very rewarding. While Gloriana is a modern opera the working in of the Tudor musical idioms gave it a great sense of Time and Place.

It is interesting that, after listening to a number of his works this year, 2013 has found me to be a convert to the music of Britten. That is something that I would not have anticipated.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra