Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Love this trio.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Modest

Post by Modest »

The Red Garland Trio - Groovy
DVD-AUDIO
MLP 2.0 192 kHz / 24 Bit
Sweet sweet jazz album on afternoon :)
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Seán

Post by Seán »

To my ear one of the most beautiful sounds in music is the trumpet playing of Clifford Brown or 'Brownie' who died in a car accident aged 25 in 1956. Fortunately we have recorded performances to remember him by. Brownie did not smoke or drink and he has influenced an array of trumpet players and other musicians too as a result of his music-making. Sonny Rollins said of him, "Clifford was a profound influence on my personal life. He showed me that it was possible to live a good, clean life and still be a good jazz musician."

He had great technique and has made recordings playing music at various tempi but it is his ballad playing that really grabs me. His extraordinary musical tone, his phrasing and they way he played with great emotion has always moved me.

Here is a lovely example of what I mean, try and ignore Neal Hefti's saccharine string arrangement, this one's for Ivor:

and Stardust, oh beautiful Brownie:

and on TV with Max Roach:
Last edited by Seán on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote:To my ear one of the most beautiful sounds in music is the trumpet playing of Clifford Brown or 'Brownie' who died in a car accident aged 25 in 1956. Fortunately we have recorded performances to remember him by. Brownie did not smoke or drink and he has influenced an array of trumpet players and other musicians too as a result of his music-making. Sonny Rollins said of him, "Clifford was a profound influence on my personal life. He showed me that it was possible to live a good, clean life and still be a good jazz musician."

He had great technique and has made recordings playing music at various tempi but it is his ballad playing that really grabs me. His extraordinary musical tone, his phrasing and they way he played with great emotion has always moved me.

Here is a lovely example of what I mean, try and ignore Neal Hefti's saccharine string arrangement, this one's for Ivor:

and Stardust, oh beautiful Brownie:

By sheer coincidence (well no, we were talking about Brownie just yesterday) I've had this on repeat all day in the shop...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote: By sheer coincidence (well no, we were talking about Brownie just yesterday) I've had this on repeat all day in the shop...
Glad to hear it Ivor. All this chat has made me thirsty, I must join my lovely wife and open another bottle of your Mas do Novi, it's a cracker.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Recorded in 1999 as a tribute to trumpeter, composer and arranger Herbie Phillips.

Trombonist Andy Martin solos on Mandel & Mercer's song, Emily:
Last edited by Seán on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seán

Post by Seán »

tony

Post by tony »

Think I will give up on the 'buildanatomicbomb' thread for awhile and start catching up on all the suggestions on this thread.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Seán

Post by Seán »

tony wrote:Think I will give up on the 'buildanatomicbomb' thread for awhile and start catching up on all the suggestions on this thread.
tony

Post by tony »

Seán wrote:
tony wrote:Think I will give up on the 'buildanatomicbomb' thread for awhile and start catching up on all the suggestions on this thread.
Take it the bits and bytes brigade dont float your boat Sean! Don't blame you. I think you can end up chasing your tail rather than just enjoying the music
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.