Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

a feast of vinyl....... and it's only just gone 9pm

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote:a feast of vinyl....... and it's only just gone 9pm
Good for you.
I have always loved Dexter Gordon's playing, the earlier the recording the better I feel and that is a lovely rhythm section supporting him.
Grant Green is ALWAYS worth listening to.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote: I have always loved Dexter Gordon's playing, the earlier the recording the better I feel and that is a lovely rhythm section supporting him.
Yep, the other 3 musicians were already playing together around Paris for quite some time before Gordon hooked up with them. They made a very tight qrartet
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote:
Seán wrote: I have always loved Dexter Gordon's playing, the earlier the recording the better I feel and that is a lovely rhythm section supporting him.
Yep, the other 3 musicians were already playing together around Paris for quite some time before Gordon hooked up with them. They made a very tight qrartet
Bud Powell was magnificent,I loved his playing.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

and more of the black stuff:

This is a lovely Basie album from 1981 and features a host of soloists including Cleveland Eaton on bass and Mitchell "Booty" Wood on trombone. When "Booty" Wood joined the Ellington Orchestra in 1961 Duke told him to use the plunger mute, "Booty" was originally horified at the thought of having to do it. As one can see Duke was right he was a natural, his wet gutteral tone is the closest to "Tricky" Sam Nanton I've ever heard.

Here is a live performance of 'Booty's Blues' form a Carnegie Hall concert in 1981: after Basie exchanges pleasantries with Cleveland Eaton, Booty takes over....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:a feast of vinyl....... and it's only just gone 9pm

Brilliant selection Ivor. It's great to finally see Dexter getting a mention :) Have you ever heard his version of Cry Me A River? Right, I'm going to dig it out now :)

Here it is. Listen to that big fat tone :)

Dexter Gordon Quartet - Cry Me a River (1955) Personnel: Dexter Gordon (tenor sax), Carl Perkins (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Chuck Thompson (drums).
Last edited by cybot on Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:

Here it is. Listen to that big fat tone :)
It's gorgeous and it got harder with age, his sound is straight out of the "Coleman Hawkins School" but with his own distinct style and phrasing.
cybot

Post by cybot »

All on glorious vinyl...the last one a double which I picked up courtesy of Gerry from Smile Records. Remember the shop?