Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Saw and read some of that thread re scripts.Wont be trying it until I have the pc built and running ok and working fine on the usb stick. Then maybe time to try that but will certainly want an easy reversal method.

Well hopefully for the next trial run there will be a variety of concoctions of zuma's. Certainly you guys are moving down the multiple linear route. Be interesting to do an a/b with a 'normal' powered zuma. Nice thing here is a lot of the builds are very close in spec it is just the mods that are different.

Has anybody got some diffusers yet? Hope we have some on board to test. That or the steins. BTW I will provide the biscuits.
have not got as much time for testing of late, but ill get reading that thread and see if theres anything new to try.
strange thing for me is that most of the optimisations I've done already has done very little for improving sound
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Always a bit late to the party.UPS tried delivery today of the case.Sods law was out for that 15mins. Tried ringing ups and you get an automated process that eventually just hangs up.Technology progress and improved customer service I think not.

As per Ultrastream as stated above late to the zuma party. Will have all the bits hopefully by tomorrow so build should be done at the weekend.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Tony , try this # 018581207 UPS Mygan Park it MIGHT work.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Always a bit late to the party.UPS tried delivery today of the case.Sods law was out for that 15mins. Tried ringing ups and you get an automated process that eventually just hangs up.Technology progress and improved customer service I think not.

As per Ultrastream as stated above late to the zuma party. Will have all the bits hopefully by tomorrow so build should be done at the weekend.
same happend me yesterday!!!

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Well Nigel how does it work? Where did you get that yoke from? It isn't the itemaudio but looks very similar.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Well Nigel how does it work? Where did you get that yoke from? It isn't the itemaudio but looks very similar.
right running 12v to cpu, 12v to pico, 5v to wtg and music storage

ill have to get second opinion on SQ
sometimes when you spend a bit of money on something you want to hear an improvement,
hopefully im not suffering from that.

positives are:
more of that linear clean sound (not massive difference, but nothing is at this stage, still noticeable on first listen)
three supplies in one
amperage read out is quite informative.
nearing the end of my modifications

negatives are
Built in fan is loud, wouldn't even mind it doesn't even get that hot (will be looking at other solutions)
Its huge, its about 3/4 the size of my pc
three cables going to my computer (ill probably loom them)
wont suit normal people
nearing the end of my modifications

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bench-Power-Sup ... wer+supply
Last edited by nige2000 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

nige2000 wrote: wont suit normal people
I LOL'ed!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

I am considering this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VOLTCRAFT-1303p ... m_sbs_ce_4

I could use the second output to power my ssd drive....

I have been experimenting a bit with storing music on my WD NAS via Belkin ethernet and USB3 stick and I can't hear much of a difference.
tony

Post by tony »

That looks a nice unit Claus. I see from that link were Nigel got his one from.

With regard to normal people a 40lb chunk of cd player or a power supply and pc case to lift. I think I know which one I would prefer to be carting to listen sessions!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:That looks a nice unit Claus. I see from that link were Nigel got his one from.

With regard to normal people a 40lb chunk of cd player or a power supply and pc case to lift. I think I know which one I would prefer to be carting to listen sessions!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bench-Power-Sup ... wer+supply

apologies i forgot to post the link

Claus,
think one of us been nuts at a time is enough, im sure we will have another listening session, and we can try the nuc on this supply as its very easily set up
Last edited by nige2000 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.