Preamp Experiences

Diapason

Re: Preamp Experiences

Post by Diapason »

That's great, Ivor, and it sounds like the preamp is doing all those things that a good preamp is supposed to do. There's such a great feeling when previously "meh" recordings suddenly sound great. It's one thing to hear and enjoy all those new audiophile-esque details and subtleties, and that's genuinely a great thing, but when a new component encourages you to listen to *more* music, you know you're onto a winner.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Great stuff Ivor! Just when we think we can't improve the system anymore, it turns out, in fact, that we can! Enjoy :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well nothing ventured... nothing gained. All you need now is a touch of upgraditis for the jump to an Air Tight ATC...

You can run... but you cannot avoid the ATC.. it is your Destiny!!!

Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

LOL!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote: All you need now is a touch of upgraditis for the jump to an Air Tight ATC...
Well I'd also need the proceeds from the sale of my kidneys. All offers for same are welcome but they're sold as seen.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote: Well I'd also need the proceeds from the sale of my kidneys. All offers for same are welcome but they're sold as seen.
I'd certainly be expecting a buzz in the right channel.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian, don't encourage him LOL
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

anyone have any experience of using a Primare Integrated as pre-amp running a valve power amp?

A PrimaLuna Prologue 4 has come up and while I know most implementations go for SS power and valve pre, it looks like reasonable value?

JB
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

I used a primare 30.1int with a Moon w5 ss amp for a little while.The results were really really good,much better than running my Ra opus 21
straight into the w5.I thought at the time that the pre in the primare was a real star!!!
tony

Post by tony »

Cant remember if I posted this already on this thread but I compared a cyrus 8xp to a dedicated jadis preamp.Chalk and cheese and it wasn't the cyrus's fault just believe a dedicated jadis preamp has to better a pre in a integrated priced at a much lower level.
For what it is worth I really like the primaluna.Running it with El34's borrowed from Fran and it is a very good performer.Warming to it on every listen.
You could try it with the primare and then look for a dedicated preamp.Ivor seemed to do well with his choice. You could also try borrowing a preamp to compare.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.