Lohengrin recommendations

fergus

Lohengrin recommendations

Post by fergus »

Wagner's Lohengrin
Performed by: Chorus & Orchestra Munich State Opera
Soloists: Marianne Schech, Margarete Klose, George Vincent, Andreas Boehm and Kurt Bohme
Label: Urania Records

Over the course of the weekend I have been playing an old, crackly five LP version of Wagner’s Lohengrin pictured above. This is a work that I really like; I like its tone, pace and overall “feel”. Now although my copy is well past its prime in terms of quality of reproduction I really like the performance. However I do need a good clean version of this work to further enhance my enjoyment of it.

So, with this in mind I am looking for recommendations for this work if you have any. I am not interested in DVD for the moment. The small amount of research that I have done points me in two directions initially. The first is another version of this work, again by Kempe, this time with the Vienna PO and such names as Ludwig, Thomas, Fischer-Dieskau and Frick to boast of. As I have really enjoyed the above version I am inclined towards this other version by Kempe. I also know and regard highly Kempe’s work in the music of R Strauss.

The second option that appears to be a favourite is the inevitable Solti version. I have his “Ring” so I am well aware of what he can bring to Wagner.

Interestingly, a name that I thought would figure here, von Karajan, does not seem to garner much favour in this work.

So, if you know this work what recommendations would you make? I will probably inevitably buy both of the Kempe (VPO) and the Solti but I wonder am I missing out on something else that I should be seriously considering?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Re: Lohengrin recommendations

Post by bombasticDarren »

I have this recording Fergus and I very much like the textures Kubelik conjures up.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you Darren; I had not considered Kubelik.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Thank you Darren; I had not considered Kubelik.
What? Kubelik first dear boy, always. Image
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Kubelik´s should be one of the most desirable of all Lohengrins, but unfortunately James King makes a rather boring knight. The same happens to Jess Thomas in the Kempe, but that recording has in it´s favor a couple of sensational nasty people: Christa Ludwig and Dietrich-Fischer Dieskau.
Though James King and Jess Thomas are never less than acceptable, even good if we are not too strict, you just have to turn to Sandor Konya in the RCA Leinsdorf recording to hear what a truly glorious Lohengrin sounds like. Unfortunately, (oh why should there almost always be an "unfortunately") Leinsdorf´s conducting is nowhere in the league of Kubelik or Kempe, and his Elsa is also rather second class.
But if I had to choose the most satisfactory all-around Lohengrin it would have to be Abbado´s in DG.
His electrifying, magnificent conducting is to die for, and in Siegfried Jerusalem he has a vocally opulent and very appealing knight. Add to that demonstration class digital sound and you have a winner.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you as always for your honest thoughts Pepe.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

You are welcome Fergus. At least you get the opinion from someone who has the recordings and has listened to them.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:You are welcome Fergus. At least you get the opinion from someone who has the recordings and has listened to them.
Ouch! My apologies.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:You are welcome Fergus. At least you get the opinion from someone who has the recordings and has listened to them.
Ouch! My apologies.

I think that I can speak for our mutual friend here and hope that you do not think that comment was directed at you personally Seán. You know that he is not like that and I would suggest that it was directed in the direction of another place. The point is, and the reason that I personally seek his opinions, is that not only has he accumulated a very significant collection but he also knows both the music and the performances intimately and he gives an honest summation of each performance based on the performances free from any bias.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Ouch! My apologies.
I think that I can speak for our mutual friend here and hope that you do not think that comment was directed at you personally Seán. You know that he is not like that and I would suggest that it was directed in the direction of another place.
Thanks Fergus, I made my comments in response to Darren's recommendation and because I think that you are not always entirely convinced by Kubelik, whilst to my ear he can do no wrong.
The point is, and the reason that I personally seek his opinions, is that not only has he accumulated a very significant collection but he also knows both the music and the performances intimately
Agreed. Our Pepe has a magnificent wealth of knowledge and is always very willing to share it with the rest of us which is deeply appreciated.
and he gives an honest summation of each performance based on the performances free from any bias.
Indeed he does.