Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Sligolad »

Definitely not under the radar Tony, got a shock today when the guy from An Post came looking for 23% vat. Turns out customs are now really doing their job and opening packages to see what is inside even when items go through post. This is the third Teddy Pardo I have bought from Israel and the first time one has been intercepted. At least when I got home and plugged it in it all felt well worth it.
We must organise a test run soon when you get your build ready.

Post by tony »

Kind of amazing alright I was shocked. Can you guys confirm that at least some of you have antivirus of some sort on your gear?
Is it just avast or all antivirus software?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Post by tony »

Sligolad wrote:Definitely not under the radar Tony, got a shock today when the guy from An Post came looking for 23% vat. Turns out customs are now really doing their job and opening packages to see what is inside even when items go through post. This is the third Teddy Pardo I have bought from Israel and the first time one has been intercepted. At least when I got home and plugged it in it all felt well worth it.
We must organise a test run soon when you get your build ready.
Well you got the big one in so not too disasterous. I thought that stuff came from the states. It will probably be the end of may before I get the case from plex so plenty of time for the TP to run in. Probably posted this earlier on this thread but another lad on the JPLAY forum tried out a a linear supply on his and was converted also. He had dumped the brick he got when he bought the plex and replaced it with a better quality brick but the linear just seems to be the right formula.

BTW John thanks for the resistors for the primaluna. Still want my £50 refund though!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:
Sligolad wrote: BTW John thanks for the resistors for the primaluna. Still want my £50 refund though!
Ah, I forgot that - you should have reminded me in Fran's. I'll get it over to you soon - you'll need it to pay the duty on that case if it's coming from US.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:
tony wrote:
Sligolad wrote: BTW John thanks for the resistors for the primaluna. Still want my £50 refund though!
Ah, I forgot that - you should have reminded me in Fran's. I'll get it over to you soon - you'll need it to pay the duty on that case if it's coming from US.
I forgot as well on the night power supplies and horn speakers took over all our thoughts. No Teddy pardo for me unless you are getting me a xmas present. I got the maplin one today. The case from plex is delivered from hamburg so no duty thank god. Actually haven't ordered it yet as it is out of stock and ordering not allowed. I might take up Nige's suggestion of a cardboard box in the meantime if all the other parts arrive.
tony

Post by tony »

Since I have belated joined US land I have managed to get it down to 150. Is that it for the ciunas or has lower been achieved?
At some point I heard really low figures but is this achievable? Curiosity Pearse what is the meitner getting down to.
US sounds great on the laptops. Will have to get Simon to carry over his wadia again when my pc is up and running. Hopefully the linear supply helps beat the sherman tank wadia.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Since I have belated joined US land I have managed to get it down to 150. Is that it for the ciunas or has lower been achieved?
At some point I heard really low figures but is this achievable? Curiosity Pearse what is the meitner getting down to.
US sounds great on the laptops. Will have to get Simon to carry over his wadia again when my pc is up and running. Hopefully the linear supply helps beat the sherman tank wadia.
Antivirus thought we had mentioned that before,
Ken and I had the ciunas at us=30, a few weeks ago, since i got mine i haven't been able to match it, 120 is about all i can get atm.
pearse has us =20, thesycon driver dacs have no issues with lower ultrasize, But from hearing it the other night at 20 then 250 i cant say i noticed a difference in sq. which is very much contrary to what i thought of the ciunas in a similar test.

is there not a lot tro be learnt from these high end cd players by looking inside them and figuring them out as its applicable to what we are trying to achieve here
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Was aware of antivirus but I had disabled it so didnt regard it as a problem. Josef had indicated when I got remote support awhile ago it was the driver and nothing could be done. Hence all searching was around drivers for the adapter and settings.

Still wondering do any of you guys have antivirus installed on these pc's and laptops? Was I the only one with antivirus installed but disabled?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I have no antivirus or firewall on my audioPC (zuma) but do have defender and firewall turned on on the laptop (controlPC)

Since the zuma never connects to the internet I reckoned the risk is low.

Good to hear that the teddy PS is making a positive difference - pity about the VAT. You win some and you lose some.....

I have been working away at recasing my zuma. I hadn't planned on doing this, but some experiments with alternate heatsinking lead me down a path and anyway, its now in a new case. Needs to be tidied up a lot, but that will follow. So it will end up looking somewhat like the other zumas.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try