Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by tony »

Many thanks Fran/Nigel very much appreciate that you guys are there and the generous offers of help. That makes it easy to have a go knowing the backup is there. I like tinkering maybe not to Fran or Nigel's levels but want to be able to say I did a 'build'
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

It genuinely is easier than you think. Have a look at a few of the videos on youtube of PC builds.

The mechanical putting together is the easiest bit - just need to watch the assembly of the heatpipes on that case. The bit that catches most out is having Windows on a USB stick, and maybe the BIOS needing to be set so that it can run from a USB stick.

I can even give you a lend of an SSD with W8 on it to get you running. Then you can do that W8 on a stick thing after.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Nigel/Pearse: have you run your system with prime95 and monitored the CPU temps? Just wondering as I try out a different cooling solution......

Fran
tony

Post by tony »

Whew what a pain went ahead and ordered the bits. Some of these sites are dreadful.Maplins for a computer supplies and electronics store is very poor. All ordered except the case as it cant be ordered till it is back in stock. Need a stiff drink after all that. I think it is all the picking and checking on various sites that just saps all enthusiasm. No going back please dont make any startling discoveries in the next while that renders all this obsolete!!

I am actually really looking forward to finally trying out US on my own system.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well done Tony!!

Hopefully there won't be a long delay on the case.

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:Nigel/Pearse: have you run your system with prime95 and monitored the CPU temps? Just wondering as I try out a different cooling solution......

Fran

never tried it but temps never went above 60 before underclocking,and 50 after during any sort of normal use. ill try it to see what happens id imagine it could hit 75 give me a day or two to check

did you get tying the underclocking/ figure out the intel bios?

Tony i got 3 usb3 sticks today in the post, I've two WTG made up now and running, if you need to borrow one of them for a few weeks ill pop one in the post.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Tony i got 3 usb3 sticks today in the post, I've two WTG made up now and running, if you need to borrow one of them for a few weeks ill pop one in the post.[/quote]

Will take you up on that offer. I can try ultrastream on the laptops and see if it all works ok and maybe sort out the US issue with the normal windows 8 setup.
Will pop you a pm in the morning
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Did not get to stress the Zuma yet Fran, on my list of to dos.
First off a big thanks for accelerating my decision to go the linear supply route, got the Teddy Pardo today and been finding it hard to pull myself away from the music for the past 2 hours.

Works wonders with the Zuma, its amazing what a good power supply can pull out af an already good package, it's not just better bass but every aspect of the sound has improved, best money I have spent in a while for the sound improvement.

Been stressing the power supply for over 2 hours now with high res up to 24/192 with no issues and I can hold my hand on the bottom of the case, gets hot but not anything to worry about so that is a real relief.

It is supposed to open up over about 30 days but what I have now from power up is good enough for me, this whole clean power route shows no end to the improvements we are seeing.

Looking forward to some good sounds over the coming days!

Post by tony »

Well done again Pearse did you get it in under the radar again? That is fairly costly one isn't it? Will be interesting to compare that to the maplin to see if it is a leap again. I got the maplin today just need all the other parts now to try it out.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Great work, Pearse. Got a link to that Teddy Pardo PS?
Well done, Tony on sorting out your streaming & adding new info to the Jplay database i.e Atheros network chip isn't a stumbling block but uninstalling AVAST is crucial!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.