Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Claus

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Claus »

Great meet-up in Fran's, I really enjoyed it and learned a huge amount from all of you! I agree on the findings summarized by Fran earlier: The most significant improvement was power supply. For practical reasons I am not sure I will go the WTG stick route, but the power will be first priority.

My NUC case has a power connector for car wiring I think?

I was thinking this could be used to power a SSD drive separately inside the case? Can anyone suggest if/how this would work? I was thinking: another one of John's LiFePo4 packs delivering 5volt shunt supply? It would still connect to the little adapter card and mount on the MB...
Thanks,
Claus
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

From my recollection USB 3 storage was the second most crucial factor that added thAt bass weight

There was 16 gb in the i7 build, but from my home tests no benefit was archived over 6gb under resulted in a loss of dynamics and bass
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Claus - I'm not sure, in the pic above, the cable looks to end in a motherboard aux power supply connector. Also the 3 connections are confusing. Your average car has 13V or so - I think for that to be a in-car supply you need something else to work there, maybe the wide range picoPSU or something?

I got the USB3 stick working this evening only getting to listen now to see the difference.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

See info below. More confusion for me just when I thought all was clear! This is a reply from DC on jplay forum re the plex case he got and the pico/brick supplied with it. His solution was to buy the unit linked below. If I get the maplin power supply my understanding is I had to get a pico to work with it.Is that what you guys are using? (Fran and Nige) Pearse is using the pico suggested by CA and a brick. Did he plug in the maplin as well on the night?

Another question posed to me related to connecting the maplin to the motherboard.Is this straightforward? My understanding is it just plugged in to the pico outlet?

Tony,

the problem is that you need a solution to get the different current voltage to feed the motherboard (basically 12V and 5V) and this is the role of the pico circuit on the 24 pin motherboard connector which is with the 150W PSU proposed by HDPlex.

In fact the I discovered that the numeric noise is due to this pico circuitry.Surprised

mCubed HFX EF19 PSU is provided with a more serious peace of voltage adapter for 5V and 12V for the Mother board.

Take a look at this link: http://www.maisondunumerique.com/hfx-ef ... nless.html
I think you'll understand what I mean.Wink
Last edited by tony on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Tony,

We connected the Linear supply to the Zuma towards the end of the night and the lift in sound was pretty much as we seen with all the other PCs tested on the night.
Can not wait to get the Teddy Pardo supply to see how much more I can get out of the Zuma.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, you will need both the picoPSU 160xt and the maplin supply.

The mother board needs +12 and +5V supplies to work. The maplin unit gives you the +12V input and the picoPSU makes the other voltages to the correct pins from that.

So:

chassis
mobo
ram
picopsu
maplin supply
cpu
SSD/USB3 stick
jplay
windows8

There's a reported issue that the picopsu lead isn't long enough to reach tot he back of the chassis - but when you get that far give me a call and I can make a new lead to give a little more length.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Fran that is exactly as I believed. What is the difference in the solution suggested by DC? It seems to be a brick supply also with all the various bits then to connect to the mobo/ssd/etc. Is that a complete replacement of the pico bits? Thats what it looks like to me.

Thanks re pico but I think that relates to the zuma. If/When I get the plex the pico unit that comes with it should just fit fine. At least that is what I believe from the threads I have seen elsewhere. If I am clear in my mind I will end up with the brick +pico from plex when I purchase it but will then discard brick and connect linear maplin supply.

Just need a confirmation that this ram is fine to use? It is from the site that John linked for the usb key. Want to order the key and 3770 and ram from them.Their price for the chip is good at €276. The ram looks like gamer type stuff but as far as I can see it should be fine(overkill) but it is cheaper than the crucial stuff that chris connaker advises for the zuma. After friday ram seems to have no bearing as everybody had different ram.

http://www.computerpartsireland.com/pro ... 2x8GB.html
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Back to our USB3 results - here's something from the Jplay forum - " install NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 drivers, you'll get another improvement."
Anybody with USB3 ports want to try this & report back?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Thanks Fran that is exactly as I believed. What is the difference in the solution suggested by DC? It seems to be a brick supply also with all the various bits then to connect to the mobo/ssd/etc. Is that a complete replacement of the pico bits? Thats what it looks like to me.

Thanks re pico but I think that relates to the zuma. If/When I get the plex the pico unit that comes with it should just fit fine. At least that is what I believe from the threads I have seen elsewhere. If I am clear in my mind I will end up with the brick +pico from plex when I purchase it but will then discard brick and connect linear maplin supply.

Just need a confirmation that this ram is fine to use? It is from the site that John linked for the usb key. Want to order the key and 3770 and ram from them.Their price for the chip is good at €276. The ram looks like gamer type stuff but as far as I can see it should be fine(overkill) but it is cheaper than the crucial stuff that chris connaker advises for the zuma. After friday ram seems to have no bearing as everybody had different ram.

http://www.computerpartsireland.com/pro ... 2x8GB.html
id get the pico 160xt of ebay without the power brick and get the linear separate and get the case on its own

this is the usb3 WTG I got http://www.microusb.co.uk/kingston-32gb ... =1&model=1
but id go with johns link to the sandisk usb3 for price reasons

you ram linked looks fine, its weird that the ram chris connaker lists isnt particularly fast, maybe it doesn't matter much

shame youll have to wait for the case.
ive assembled pcs in there motherboard cardboard boxes before without issues, if you cant wait
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Back to our USB3 results - here's something from the Jplay forum - " install NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 drivers, you'll get another improvement."
Anybody with USB3 ports want to try this & report back?

renesas drivers are for renesas chipsets, my two builds have renesas usb3 chipsets im not sure whats in the intel