Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

Just in case its not clear from the rambling above, in the end we got Claus' miniPC.de build to sound pretty much as good as Nigels i7 build......... maybe I should have said 98% instead of 95%!

Please correct me in anything I've got wrong...
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I dont believe that the motherboard and cpu brand and or model is important at all. 6 gb ram min.
I3 processers having no ill effect.
Linear ps being most important then usb3 sticks
After that id have a preference for usb 3 ports and fanless cpu cooler maybe some underclocking
And a meitner if you have one lying around

Fidelizer may have a postive effect ?
Total commander had no effect for me?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just to add:
Jplay suggest quad core is needed to get the best out of Jplay - we didn't find that result - number of cores in the CPU seems to make little to no difference - we used both in Frans'
Battery supply, when tried on Claus's NUC seemed to result in a reduction of some impact in the bass area.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Sounds like an interesting evening. How were the UltraSize comparisons?
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

We didn't really do anything with ultrasize - I think all were at the default value....
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, Ultrasize will have to wait for another day with/without streaming but it seemed that around 150-200 was the min that people were reporting was possible with the Ciúnas DAC. I'll be interested to find out more about the 30 US you & Nige achieved & how.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote: Personally, I will now be going off to get a USB3 stick and will probably leave the SSD in there, plus I will be continuing to stream. The only other tweaking will be to see does underclocking the CPU make a difference for me.

Fran
This might help in your USB3 choice http://www.whoratesit.com/Best-Flash-Drive/Comparison/1
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just teasing out the USB3 thing a bit more
Am I right in thinking that USB3 stick is Definitely best for OS but for storgae that there was not much difference between USB3 stick & SSD?
Also, one thing escaped us - the USB port into which the DAC was plugged - was it USB3 on Nigel & Fran's PC? It was USB2 on Claus my NUC - don't know about Pearse's Zuma - probably USB3? This could be a factor in the sound too!
www.Ciunas.biz
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

For the Zuma it was all USB 2 ports used John.
I had to look up where the USB 3 ports were when you asked and both are under the Ethernet connection and these 2 I have not used yet.
Will give them a try later and see if the DAC connection will sound any better but I doubt I will hear much difference.

Post by tony »

Looks like I left before some important points were identified or found out.
Niges I7 was in pole position using usb3 ports and WTG/music on usb key, underclocked cpu (i7)
and maplins power supply.Fanless streacom case. Frans was next his with fan(outboard power supply) not using USB3 ports or usb sticks and slighly less powerful maplins supply and no under clocking.

Streaming to frans pc through laptop brought the sound more or less equal to Nige's single pc setup. That is when I left.

What was applied to the i3 nucs to magically bring them closer? Just the power supply?

What is John saying about Fran using cores and Jplay not being right with quad core being necessary? Did you close down some of the cores in Frans to test jplay on one core?

Are you all in agreement that whatever happened with the i3's the sound quality nearly merged with Niges setup? (Pearse,Claus,Fran especially curious to hear your view on it?) Sorry John,Nige as you are i3 disciples hence possibly ear issues!)

One last question Nige your i7 8gb or 16gb? (8 i think)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.