Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

Anyone else interested in coming along?

Anyone else is most welcome.... should have said that the other night, but just so yis know, there might be a bit of computer geekery!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Computer geekery ....... never! :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Link to dropbox and directions sent out just now....
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Hope to be there Fran. I don't need to bring anything but will have the laptops in the boot and oh yeah the misfiring primaluna. Where do you get the fuses from? I have asked Primaluna for a pair(free) as per their website but just in case I will get replacements locally if available. Kind of hoping it is the fuse on the autobias but it looks fine.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Fran, thanks for the invite but I won't be able to make it. However I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusions from the hard-core PC guys. I'm interested in the lowest UltraSize figure and what makes the difference, CPU,Memory,Network Adapter etc.
I'll raise a creamy pint to the efforts.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Claus

Post by Claus »

Sorry if this has been answered before.
Is Windows 8 ok? Or should i go for Pro?
Thanks
Claus
tony

Post by tony »

Claus wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before.
Is Windows 8 ok? Or should i go for Pro?
Thanks
Claus
Windows 8 is fine and either the normal or enterprise version is used but have seen some mention that pro is 'better' If buying it and the cost is not prohibitive probably better to get pro and be done with it.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I didnt think it mattered once you have the settings right and its 64 bit version
Im running enterprise atm
What comes with the original zuma?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Claus

Post by Claus »

BLACKPETE has arrived! Unfortunately without a power supply. But I have a Toshiba that will do the job till I get one. I might look for a regulated supply (19V 65W) if I can find a not too expensive example...

Of course nothing is simple when it comes to Microsoft: couldn't get OEM version of Win8 in shops so had to download Enterprise version. I am not sure if this can be "upgraded" to a full version later or if I have to re-install, but no doubt it has to be the most awkward process ever! I intend to run it off the msata in the NUC as opposed to a USB stick.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Claus wrote:BLACKPETE has arrived! Unfortunately without a power supply. But I have a Toshiba that will do the job till I get one. I might look for a regulated supply (19V 65W) if I can find a not too expensive example...

Of course nothing is simple when it comes to Microsoft: couldn't get OEM version of Win8 in shops so had to download Enterprise version. I am not sure if this can be "upgraded" to a full version later or if I have to re-install, but no doubt it has to be the most awkward process ever! I intend to run it off the msata in the NUC as opposed to a USB stick.
Not sure on which power supply you should go for but we will know more after the meet

For the install youll have to download the win 7 usb downlood tool (or something like that) and have a usb key to create a usb installer allong with your downloaded win 8 iso and then follow the instructions

I haven't activated my win 8 yet and still working of the demo, and will until im doing a fresh install, which will be after im finished experimenting
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's