Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

Mmmmm. Ultrastream will run fine on the local PC, but not across the network, so its something to do with that.

Mind you, I'm running through a router, so I have yet to try a direct connection. There are advantages to that (audioPC not on the network, no need for firewall or defender etc), but its a little messier in use. However, it is the same router and cables that were used on my old P4 audioPC and it would ultra no problem. So it seems to me it must be something to do with the ethernet on the new franzuma.

All to be figured out yet. I can say that I can do hires files in xtream where I was running out of steam earlier.

Happy with the sound, but haven't done any comparisons yet, lots of tweaking to do yet, incl W8 optimisation, remove surplus SW and so on. It'll all take a few nights.

Happy enough for the first run out though.

Pearse - I know connecting up a monitor etc would be a pain, but if you have it out at some stage anyway, would you mind going into the device manager for your zuma and having a look at the ethernet adapter, check what driver and so on you are using?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Hi Fran,

Good news on the build.

In Device Manager I have Network Adaptor:
Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Adaptor
Driver Date 2/29/2012
Version 12.0.150.0

There is an Microsoft Kernel Debug Adaptor also listed !!

Cheers,
Pearse.

Post by tony »

The microsoft one is always there probably part of windows operating system.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:Mmmmm. Ultrastream will run fine on the local PC, but not across the network, so its something to do with that.

Mind you, I'm running through a router, so I have yet to try a direct connection. There are advantages to that (audioPC not on the network, no need for firewall or defender etc), but its a little messier in use. However, it is the same router and cables that were used on my old P4 audioPC and it would ultra no problem. So it seems to me it must be something to do with the ethernet on the new franzuma.

All to be figured out yet. I can say that I can do hires files in xtream where I was running out of steam earlier.

Happy with the sound, but haven't done any comparisons yet, lots of tweaking to do yet, incl W8 optimisation, remove surplus SW and so on. It'll all take a few nights.

Happy enough for the first run out though.

Pearse - I know connecting up a monitor etc would be a pain, but if you have it out at some stage anyway, would you mind going into the device manager for your zuma and having a look at the ethernet adapter, check what driver and so on you are using?

Fran
cant be a hardware problem either driver or software most likely

i assume u tried raising the ultrasize just to get going
then try latency mon to check

curious issue im sure it will be figured out
Last edited by nige2000 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

OK,

I have the same listings as you Pearse but the driver is different - mine is 18.1. I can't find a version just now back as far as 12.1, but I did find the one immediately prvious to 18.1 and will try that.

Feckers.

EDIT: Pearse - they are the standard windows drivers - have them sorted there now.

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:OK,

I have the same listings as you Pearse but the driver is different - mine is 18.1. I can't find a version just now back as far as 12.1, but I did find the one immediately prvious to 18.1 and will try that.

Feckers.

EDIT: Pearse - they are the standard windows drivers - have them sorted there now.

Fran
you just removed the driver and then it worked right?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Removed the intel supplied driver, then scanned for hardware changes and windows loaded up the same driver as Pearses.

Have since tried direct ethernet connection (ie crossover) and while it works beautifully with xtream it won't run ultra!

So same issue as Tony nearly it would seem.

Symptoms are:

Pick ultrastream (have tried drivebuffer 0, 1 and 8; US from 250 to 4000). Set to play, screen goes off on the franzuma (ie it is getting that instruction OK) but then only silence. I then have to restart the service on the audioPC. Without the restart service jplaysettings can't find the audioPC. This is indicative of jplay service running.

xtream sounds great though...

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:Removed the intel supplied driver, then scanned for hardware changes and windows loaded up the same driver as Pearses.

Have since tried direct ethernet connection (ie crossover) and while it works beautifully with xtream it won't run ultra!

So same issue as Tony nearly it would seem.

Symptoms are:

Pick ultrastream (have tried drivebuffer 0, 1 and 8; US from 250 to 4000). Set to play, screen goes off on the franzuma (ie it is getting that instruction OK) but then only silence. I then have to restart the service on the audioPC. Without the restart service jplaysettings can't find the audioPC. This is indicative of jplay service running.

xtream sounds great though...

Fran
FRUSTRATING

its working in single mode ultrastream?
working with xtream 2pc?
turn hibernate off
power options?
Last edited by nige2000 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ok, this is getting "fuzzy"
- Guess each hardware differences between yours & Pearse's has to be identified & tested?
- same network driver
- different DAC Ciúnas - but this has worked at US=30 on Ken's system

It will be interesting to get to the bottom of this
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Have you tried wired thru a modem/router on both audio and streamer? Very much hope you dont have the same issue as me.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.