Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by tony »

That's perfect Fran re test.

I can bring a ciunas and a jkdac32. Between us we should have 4 ciunas dacs so really it is the one to bring. I dont think we are going to muster 4 meitners.
Pearse has a pair of van den hul names that is 3 same interconnects all we need is probably another pair of van den huls if somebody has a pair floating around.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

happy to test on the ciunas
if we have time to hear the xmos chipped meitner at low ultrasize, once at the end, ill be happy
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Tony i was looking at the HDPLEX H5.S Fanless Computer Case, it seemed to me that it has a simpler cpu cooler and it would be easier fitted than the streacom case. would be more suitable for a first build.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:Tony i was looking at the HDPLEX H5.S Fanless Computer Case, it seemed to me that it has a simpler cpu cooler and it would be easier fitted than the streacom case. would be more suitable for a first build.
That's good I would be a bit nervous about all this but will give it a go shortly. I did see a review suggesting it was fairly easy to assemble but my choice at the moment relates to the fact it seems fairly similar in all respects but is a fair chunk cheaper. It will be interesting to see how it looks compared to the streacom case. As a wise man said to me very recently there are no bargains but sure we will see.

I tried disabling both network adapters on both laptops but still no US here. I will mess around and see if there are any updates possible for these drivers and give it one more go.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'll be updating here later with pics, but the CPU landed today - and in short order the "franzuma" is together and running!!

It all was smooth enough, just took longer to do the drivers etc than the install. It helped that I already had the OS on an SSD ready to go, but that would have only added a short bit.

Nige: what do you use to run the CPU hard - I want to make it run hard so I can adjust the fan speed.....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Well done Fran. Are you using windows 8 Pro?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes.

So, the build all went smoothly enough, as I mentioned above - just took a while to update all the drivers and the BIOS etc. Then I found what to use to stress the CPU so I could see what was an appropriate fan speed. There's a program called "prime" that makes the CPU run calculations at max speed - so even after the longer more rigourous test that it runs, the max CPU temp was 70degC - and that was with the fan running so slow that I couldn't hear it when my ear was right beside it through the open box. You will hear no fan noise from this PC - essentially silent.

Next up was to install jplay and see if it worked - and it did!! first try away she went and its runnign fine now. However, I can't get any sound out of ultra as yet.

I think for one night I'm going to just play along with xtream and see how she beds down.

Pics later hopefully.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

I just hope it is not a network card issue on US for your sake. Well are you getting the vibe from your franzuma? i.e is it a pearsezuma beater?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:I'll be updating here later with pics, but the CPU landed today - and in short order the "franzuma" is together and running!!

It all was smooth enough, just took longer to do the drivers etc than the install. It helped that I already had the OS on an SSD ready to go, but that would have only added a short bit.

Nige: what do you use to run the CPU hard - I want to make it run hard so I can adjust the fan speed.....

Fran
sorry Fran took my eye of the ball there

prime 95, 64 bit for cpu torture i believe
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:I just hope it is not a network card issue on US for your sake. Well are you getting the vibe from your franzuma? i.e is it a pearsezuma beater?
seeing as franzuma and pearsezuma share the same motherboard and ethernet adapters, it not working on ultrastream wont be down to network card issue

see u found prime without me,
70 degrees at full load is fine, the i7 2600 k runs at 45-52 degrees with ultrastream running and the streacom cooler which is very bearable

i seem to be pushing the limits of my picu psu on the i7 2600k streacom build, if i plug in a usb hard drive and ssd usb drive along with the graphics card it can run short on power and crash so its not much good for testing. it will work perfect without the graphics card which is fine for the finished machine we will see how it goes. i have the i3 anyway but its already got an occupation it will have to go back to the tv at some stage