Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ken Moreland

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Ken Moreland »

If you click the driver's tab ,you can re-sort the impact of the different drivers and see what may be affecting your latency figures and maybe do some driver updating or uninstalling.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:If you click the driver's tab ,you can re-sort the impact of the different drivers and see what may be affecting your latency figures and maybe do some driver updating or uninstalling.
KM
do you mean disable drivers one at a time in device manager to see which one maybe causing latency issues?
or something else?

i have yet to use the latency test john provided i should get a chance in an hour or so

ken have you had a chance to try jplay 5.1 yet?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nige,
If you find something affecting latency you could update the driver or you could uninstall or disable if the application is unnecessary. I did this with Nvidia Display driver, got a latency improvement and was able to reduce UltraSize from 160 to 120.
I'd be very careful about uninstalling though unless I was sure what I was doing.

Yes I've been listening to V5.1 and it is very impressive. I'm using UltraStream all the time now and the atmosphere it creates is superb. If I walked into a room where Xtream was playing the sound would be excellent, detailed,musical etc but switch to UltraStream and it's goosebump territory. I'd like to explore the lower reaches of UltraSize and I'm envious on those who can go down to 20 but I'll wait until the network card controversy is resolved and the brighter sparks on this forum get the home built PC sorted.

Do take a chance to call round anytime suits you.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Nige,
If you find something affecting latency you could update the driver or you could uninstall or disable if the application is unnecessary. I did this with Nvidia Display driver, got a latency improvement and was able to reduce UltraSize from 160 to 120.
I'd be very careful about uninstalling though unless I was sure what I was doing.

Do take a chance to call round anytime suits you.

KM
i was aware of the driver updating and disabling and its affect on latency, although i didn't realise at the time, that disabling the network card would stop jplay from working in any mode
i suppose only things not to disable is the network card and whatever usb ports you are using for dac, keyboard and mouse and disconnect any unnecessary devices.

if you have any slots for me to call wed or thurs at 2ish i should be able to go all going well
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

john

is it possible to use batteries to power usb WTG SATA SSD in a similar fashion to what youve done in your DACs. its likely as good a solution as any
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, the culprit in my bad latency figures is the Wifi card - a Ralink yoke
When I disable it, it's interesting to see that Tcp/ip calls & access to the Ralink card still being done by Jplay but the latency is much better. This was when running Jplay in 1PC mode. I thought if using Jplay in wired that I wouldn't need a WiFi card - it would be using the Ethernet NIC on the motherboard?

I powered up the NUC late last night using WTG stick just to test that all was working - it is absolutely silent as far as I'm concerned - with my ear on the box I couldn't hear any fan noise whatsoever.

Will be testing it out today with Jplay.

Great thing about booting from WTG stick is that I don't need to attach screen & keyboard/mouse to make changes - just plug WTG into other laptop, boot & make changes.

Yes, Nige, batteries could be used - I was thinking of testing the use of batteries to power the whole NUC so this would follow - it would make the NUC into something of a portable device
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny

Post by jkeny »

It's similar to my netbook one - your pagefaults are high. According to the website, these can be addressed somewhat - I'm just going to run a latency test on the netbook booted from WTG & no pagefaults disk allocation
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

disabled page file
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19FQ ... sp=sharing

was expecting more

went into the bios disabled power saving features esit, c1,c3,c6 and so on,
helped latency but nothing exciting

cant seem to improve my hard page faults any advice?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

spent a couple of hours trying to reduce latency my averages are good but i always seem to get at least one spike of up to 1000 within 5 min of testing

testing for just under 50 min

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 995.867877
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1.994990

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 95.349052
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.652828

whats causing the spike ?

and the page file errors, i didn't find a solution as yet

how did you get on with yours john?