Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Finaltest beta sounds fantastic using xtream.2 sec replay after playback gone and it works much smoother.
Still unable to use ultrastream despite my best efforts. Wired/single laptop/turn off windows firewall/adjust settings till my fingers got sore but no music. Both laptops show network card compatible issue and advice from marcin and josef is get another network card?
Happy with xtream hopefully future releases fix whatever this issue is.
your using two laptops aren't you?
what are they?

would have asumed it would work with a huge ultrasize 2/3000 when it had worked before on previous versions (even though it would take a long time to load)
id be trying to get the single working first.
but im not going to argue with the main men all the same

you've probably had enough torture for tonight
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

i3 6gb ram Packard bell(1yr old), i5 6gb ram HP(3 months old). Hard to fathom. I have a feeling it is something stupid but I cant see it.
xtream works like a dream. Now I haven't tried hires yet. Have the bearded guru from meath co council calling by this morning to diagnose.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:i3 6gb ram Packard bell(1yr old), i5 6gb ram HP(3 months old). Hard to fathom. I have a feeling it is something stupid but I cant see it.
xtream works like a dream. Now I haven't tried hires yet. Have the bearded guru from meath co council calling by this morning to diagnose.
yea sounds weird if KM has a p4 which is probably about 8yr old working perfect with ultrastream it should be nothing to your two pcs.
when you figure it out let me know its very curious
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Had the pleasure of Tony's hospitality this morning and had a look at the setup. Both laptops are modern and new and all settings look ok but neither will play UltraStream and the combination won't either. In 2PC mode there are "network card problem" warnings and this might have some meaning for one of them.All other Engines are fine. Both Dacs are fine and capable.

Some possibilities;
1 Try crossover cable between the 2 laptops , this might work if both are incapable of playing individually and the modem is weak.
2 Try switching to the 5Ghz band using DualBand USB wireless adapters, I have 2 spare you can borrow.
3 Try the Zuma or another PC/Laptop which is known to work, first as single pc then as an AudioPC with both of the laptops and then as a streamer with both of the laptops.

The problem is solvable from this side, JPlay won't be able to do anything and future versions won't be any different I think.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Had the pleasure of Tony's hospitality this morning and had a look at the setup. Both laptops are modern and new and all settings look ok but neither will play UltraStream and the combination won't either. In 2PC mode there are "network card problem" warnings and this might have some meaning for one of them.All other Engines are fine. Both Dacs are fine and capable.

Some possibilities;
1 Try crossover cable between the 2 laptops , this might work if both are incapable of playing individually and the modem is weak.
2 Try switching to the 5Ghz band using DualBand USB wireless adapters, I have 2 spare you can borrow.
3 Try the Zuma or another PC/Laptop which is known to work, first as single pc then as an AudioPC with both of the laptops and then as a streamer with both of the laptops.

The problem is solvable from this side, JPlay won't be able to do anything and future versions won't be any different I think.
KM
hard to believe, both laptops wont do ultrastream, whats the chances of that!

try a crossover cable first
usb to ethernet adapters might work although i couldn't guarantee it:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/d-link-usb- ... -2D8S.html

if they were pc towers you could put in Ethernet cards and forget about it
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

My laptop is using a broadcom NIC Tony?

Not only that, but the audioPC is so ancient I find it hard to believe that there's anything special about my set up here. One thing I did note is that I couldn't get ultrastream to work properly until I went to a wired setup (through a router).

The other thing worth doing: uninstall jplay on both machines (go to c:/jplay and double click "unins000") and then reinstall your copy again. That clears all the old registry values etc out and gives you a fresh start. Then I would go to your device manager (rt click on my computer and manage, go to your network card and click on update driver. Just in case there is a new driver for W8 for that card.

Its very hard to imagine that the actual network card is causing a problem. The only other thing I can think of is to disable whichever network interface you aren't using, say the wifi if you're using wired or vice-versa in case there is a IP conflict between them?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:My laptop is using a broadcom NIC Tony?

Not only that, but the audioPC is so ancient I find it hard to believe that there's anything special about my set up here. One thing I did note is that I couldn't get ultrastream to work properly until I went to a wired setup (through a router).

The other thing worth doing: uninstall jplay on both machines (go to c:/jplay and double click "unins000") and then reinstall your copy again. That clears all the old registry values etc out and gives you a fresh start. Then I would go to your device manager (rt click on my computer and manage, go to your network card and click on update driver. Just in case there is a new driver for W8 for that card.

Its very hard to imagine that the actual network card is causing a problem. The only other thing I can think of is to disable whichever network interface you aren't using, say the wifi if you're using wired or vice-versa in case there is a IP conflict between them?

Fran
great advice
you'll definitely need to do that to avoid any software and driver issues, windows is a whingy whiny b1tch with old drivers knocking about
frans instructions should elevate these potential threats if you have not already done so.
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Fran some of that re network adapters and disabling wifi/wired/wireless I have tried already and Josef has responded again on jplay forum advising nothing to be done until the release goes out and if lots of issues come back like that they will be able to figure it out.

The stuff on uninstall is new to me and definitely will try that. I feel it has to be something around jplay itself and hoping your uninstall advice is the key. I think you are very right something is hanging around from a previous version that is mudding the waters.

One of my network adapters is a broadcom adapter so personally believe the network adapter is red herring.

Regardless of all this xtream sounds so good on this version I am still very happy with the leap in performance. Should have kept the zuma as I am itching to hear how it would sound now. The 2 laptop set up sounds so good.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Tony - see josefs post over on jplay forum about a realtek driver uprade that solved the problem for someone else.

RE: RC15:

I have it working fine and no glitches at all. The lowest I can go US=85 with jkdac32, 90 with jkCiunas. BUT having experimented (only with the ciunas which is hard to turn off!) I find a bigger US value gives me tighter cleaner bass. I've seen others mention this too. Currently I have mine up around 1000 and it sounds very detailed, but yet with full bass. With values from 85-150 some low bass becomes just boomy and indistinct. I have yet to try xtream and stuff there.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks again Fran, I did. Not at home but have checked online and the broadcom adaptor has an update available. I always believed when hit update within device manager it went off searching for an updated driver but this obviously now doesnt happen. Have updated this driver and will do the realtek when i get home(now having said that the laptop is barely 3 months old)

Your comment re ciunas rings a bell with me. In conjunction with this version of jplay you just keep playing music. I finally got our dining room cleared today and was able to open the door.The cd racks are lying against it and if I am being honest i am at the point where I am ready to just try and sell them to get rid of the clutter. It was neck and neck with the last version of jplay and the jkdac32. Now there is no comparison. Maybe the really expensive cd players still have the edge?

xtream sounds great. There are some who think it is nicer than ultrastream.For the moment I am in that camp