Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

Duke Ellington died in 1974. Two days after Duke was buried his son, Mercer, took the orchestra on a planned engagement in Bermuda - just as his father would have done. In 1974 and 1975 Mercer recorded his first LP as band leader. It also marks the last recorded performances of Duke's long time friend and baritone saxophonist, Harry Carney. Carney joined Ellington's ensemble in 1926 and played with Duke until the Maestro's death in 1974. Harry Carney died a few months after Duke Ellington.

On the cover above Mercer is in the centre and is flanked by Harry Carney and Cootie Williams. The performances on the LP are a pale imitation of his father's output, it is merely of curiousity value.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Recent listening....

....with a big nod in Seán's direction!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Recent listening....

Ah Fergus, you are taking the urine now, aren't you?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

If you want to look in my direction, I am over here -- with the Jazz Orchestra -- Nelson's Column, paying tribute to the splendid British trumpet player, Derek Watkins, who died earlier this week, may he RIP:

At that concert Spike introduced the saxophonist Olaf Vas as the "Swedish for Herpes".
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

LOL!!!

I actually got a bunch of those type of albums free some time ago Seán; I am sure that you will say "No Wonder" LOL!!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

LOL!!!

I actually got a bunch of those type of albums free some time ago Seán; I am sure that you will say "No Wonder" LOL!!!
Yes, you're welcome to them.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Absolutely no problem Seán....you can borrow them any time you wish!!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Absolutely no problem Seán....you can borrow them any time you wish!!!
Feckin' magic, thanks, it's a long time since I played with a frisbee.
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

I have always loved Dexter Gordon's music-making and his huge sound, this is a lovely album, the arrangements are by Slide Hampton and features Dexter on Tenor & soprano saxes, Frank Wess flute, Woody Shaw and the fabulous Benny Bailey on trumpets.

Here's a sample:
Seán

Post by Seán »

In the mid-sixties Buddy Rich left the Harry James Orchestra and set up his own fabulous Big Band at the same time the young trumpet player, Don Ellis, was taking LA by storm with his orchestral compositions and arrangements. He had a legion of fans including Zubin Mehta.

Ellis created a new sound. He used a variety of time signatures in his highly original compositions and arrangements. He introduced amplification of instruments and used special sound effects for example, the distortion of the woodwinds that was original for its time. Ellis added a sitar and included a vast array of percussion instruments to add greater colour to his tonal palette; he managed to produce music that appealed to many people but obviously some people may hate it:

I first heard this music in the seventies, I fell in love with it on first sitting and was given a tape recording of the LP. The tape was later stolen and I only managed to track down a new vinyl copy a few years ago, I now have it on vinyl and CD and I wouldn't be without it.