Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

That's what I mean, Tony, just an experiment with an existing laptop first to try & tease out the relative importance of the various components that we have tentatively identified as relevant, before investing in a new setup
- fanless
- SSD
- CPU?
- temp control?
- other?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

And the results of the Fran jury are in....

Running the fan off a separate supply=same SQ as no fan.

This is a really happy result as it will save me about €300! I'm trying to analyse the difference I'm hearing, but its down to what seems like extra resolution - so for example piano strikes are that little bit more "real". I've been using that Oscar Petersen track "you look good to me" from we get requests. With the fans run from the mobo, the drums are "in" the left speaker, piano front and bass "in" the left. With the fans separate, the soundstage seems to become more even and the piano becomes a little more noticeable, or at least your attention stays on it rather than the walking bass line. Some of the drum hits might be more dynamic but couldn't swear to that. The whole thing is not a massive change, eg you wouldn't notice it walking around the room. But if you're in the hot seat and listening over a period of time I think you would always go for the fanless/separate supply

For me at least, this means that off mobo fan power is a must.

Nige2000: I would be very interested in trying your picoPSU if the offer is still open. I think that is the other major factor.

I was wondering: rather than trust my ears alone, would anyone be free one night early next week to call down here and have a listen and compare? If the picoPSU can be in the mix, then thats another thing to try out?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:And the results of the Fran jury are in....

Nige2000: I would be very interested in trying your picoPSU if the offer is still open. I think that is the other major factor.

I was wondering: rather than trust my ears alone, would anyone be free one night early next week to call down here and have a listen and compare? If the picoPSU can be in the mix, then thats another thing to try out?

Fran
Aha, excellent, Fran.
So if I could run a laptop fan off a separate supply & run the laptop from it's battery (rather than PS brick) that might be a test of the PS option too?
BTW, I haven't yet looked into it but are there some speed control wires also on the fan i.e it's not just a matter of connecting the power (what voltage?) to the fan but how are speed these control wires connected?

I would be keen to come down anytime you want & bring along a rigged up laptop. If it turns out to sound good then maybe I can also compare it to the Zuma first? Whatya say Tony?

Fran, I can also bring you down & leave with you a Ciúnas DAC for evaluation.

Hey were getting somewhere with these tests :) Irlande, dix point
Last edited by jkeny on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Eh Not sure what you are suggesting John with 'my' zuma. I am around next week but during the day only. Fran I could get down to you for a short period next week during the evening.It will be 30mins and then exit.See what happens maybe somebody else will pop down for the test.

John if I still have the zuma same as above. Might be able to do something at the weekend but sure pm me if you are set up for testing.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Eh Not sure what you are suggesting John with 'my' zuma. I am around next week but during the day only. Fran I could get down to you for a short period next week during the evening.It will be 30mins and then exit.See what happens maybe somebody else will pop down for the test.

John if I still have the zuma same as above. Might be able to do something at the weekend but sure pm me if you are set up for testing.
What I'm suggesting is trying to rig up a laptop that has it's fan running off an independent PS & then running this laptop from it's own battery rather than it's PS brick. Bringing this over to you to see how it compares to the Zuma, if you still have it then? I might have something rigged up tomorrow so could probably drop over any time this weekend or any daytime next week also.

Then we would have another datapoint to compare to the pico PS on Fran's setup!
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:And the results of the Fran jury are in....

This is a really happy result as it will save me about €300! I'm trying to analyse the difference I'm hearing, but its down to what seems like extra resolution - so for example piano strikes are that little bit more "real". I've been using that Oscar Petersen track "you look good to me" from we get requests. With the fans run from the mobo, the drums are "in" the left speaker, piano front and bass "in" the left. With the fans separate, the soundstage seems to become more even and the piano becomes a little more noticeable, or at least your attention stays on it rather than the walking bass line. Some of the drum hits might be more dynamic but couldn't swear to that. The whole thing is not a massive change, eg you wouldn't notice it walking around the room. But if you're in the hot seat and listening over a period of time I think you would always go for the fanless/separate supply

Fran
I'll be back home Monday ill be busy for a couple of days catching up on work but still keen to get moving forward on this project
If you pm me on Monday ill try and get you the picu or the whole pc but the CPU fan is loud

On the motherboard PC builders usually build with brands they have had good experiences with.

I've no experiences of intel boards but I'd stick to the major brands
Asrock boards should be fine hear good things about them
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Pearse probably has jet lag!. Can do tomorrow evening but it will be after 8?
Does yours have an ssd drive? I dont believe it does.

The jplay cowboys believe very much in sata cables and usb cables. Which is surprising.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Pearse probably has jet lag!. Can do tomorrow evening but it will be after 8?
Does yours have an ssd drive? I dont believe it does.

The jplay cowboys believe very much in sata cables and usb cables. Which is surprising.
Yes, you are correct, no SSD in my laptop - let's leave it until I get one of these
I think the Jplay boys, Marcin really, is suggesting things (cables, cable cuffs, etc) which cut down EMC emissions. He doesn't explicitly say that this is the reason for his choices but I reckon it is.

He just announced this "BTW – we'll soon introduce series of accessories under new brand to make your life easier in the search of ultimate computer audio experience :)"
www.Ciunas.biz
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

No time for jet lag unfortunately...catching up at work is the problem!!
Tony I can do tomorrow night or some evening next week whichever works.
I can bring along my laptop with SSD and disconnect the fan if it is of any help.
Could also bring the Zuma down to Fran during the week and open it up and take out the PicoPSU if Nige cannot make it.
Open to all suggestions to help determine what works best!

Post by tony »

Hi Pearse Welcome back. I am heading out the door so will catch up with you tomorrow. If that works for you in terms of tomorrow night fantastic. Suggesting 8 as i am tied up until then. Hope John sees this tonight because it gets him off the hook in terms of trying to organise the fan.