Bach Passions recommendations please

markof

Bach Passions recommendations please

Post by markof »

With Easter coming up soon, I'm thinking of buying an additional St. John and St. Matthew Passion.
I already have the Gardiner St. Matthew (1989) and the Kings College St. John (1996).

Am interested in the recent Dunedin Consort St. John but am looking for recommendations.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Re: Bach Passions recommendations please

Post by fergus »

I have both of those respective versions Mark and they are very fine. The only other versions that I own are by Suzuki/Bach Collegium Japan which I can also recommend. I am sure that others will offer more recommendations; I will be watching this space.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Hi

I have aways adored Gardiner's Archiv St Matthew Passion

For the St John I like Britten

Varying approaches that bring great pleasure
Seán

Post by Seán »

I am not an expert on JSB's musical output or performances either but I do know what appeals to me and I love Herreweghe's Bach (he'd have you believing in a divine creator) so I can recommend his recordings of the St Matthew Passion and the St John Passion on Harmonia Mundi:

They look like this:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

old fashioned now maybe, but it was the standard-bearer of it's day and should never be discounted. Some marvellous singing here and it's a set I would always recommend....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:I am not an expert on JSB's musical output or performances either but I do know what appeals to me and I love Herreweghe's Bach (he'd have you believing in a divine creator) so I can recommend his recordings of the St Matthew Passion and the St John Passion on Harmonia Mundi:

Very true!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I don´t think you can go wrong with Harnoncourt´s last recording of the St. Matthew Passion, the singers are superb, and Harnoncourt conducts a more compelling, more tragic performance than Herreweghe.
The Great Passion has had many recordings, Harnoncourt has recorded it 3 times, but the last shown above is the one to have. Herreweghe has recorded it twice, and though maybe I´m in a minority, I much prefer his first recording to the second. It´s more humble, less manicured, but more direct.
For the St. John I would go for Frans Brüggen´s first recording in Philips, not his second in Glossa, ruined by a spent and voiceless Michael Chance. Gardiner´s second recording in Soli Deo Gloria on the other hand is infinitely better than his first Archiv recording, and like Harnoncourt in the St. Matthew, he has the inestimable advantage of mezzo Bernarda Fink in the gorgeous alto arias.
markof

Post by markof »

Many, many thanks for the recommendations - great to see the diversity of opinion.

I bought the Dunedin St. John - based on reviews and the approach of recreating an entire mass - even has a sermon which can be downloaded separately.

Also got a wonderful recording of Gesualdo/de Victoria music for Holy Saturday

Have ordered the Herreweghe St. Matthew, based on your recommendations and on his B-Minor Mass recording which I really like.

I'll listen to the others on Spotify when I can.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I would have bought the Dunedin set too. I think John Butt is a great musician.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
james

Post by james »

I have the Rilling version which I quite like but, as it is the only version I have heard, I would not presume to recommend it ..

I would be interested if anyone has any views on this version.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]