Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

No, I meant that this is what chips on the mobo are being required to do - extra load on them to control the fan and also suply current to it.

I'll be replacing it with a bench supply.... I think most are saying cpu is only running a few %.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ah, right, Fran, I'm with you - yes I think the varying current draw from the fluctuating & spinning fan could not help matters. I also think that keeping the temp of all chips as low as possible may help with sonics? I know that certain devices, SSD, RAM, CPU, GPU are throttled back when the temperature goes above certain values. I doubt varying temperatures will help any component's operation or longevity?

So the way I've been thinking for a while now is that some good heatsink on various components CPU, GPU, RAM, other cards like Wifi, graphics, etc. with a good, near silent case fan operating from an independent PS - might be a cheaper alternative to a completely fanless computer. Fanless usually comes at a premium price because of the amount of aluminium & copper used plus the shipping costs (if not built into the price). Mind you fanless cases tend to be the nicest looking!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I have a picu power supply I could live without if someone wanted to do some testing

I don't think we Should ignor tdp watts but those figures are at maximum. Utilisation and we will be nowhere near that.
And there not much difference between a 3770, 3770k 3770t only the way it's limited or not to keep tdps low
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I got chatting today to a friend of mine who is a very experienced PC builder and all round IT guru. His first words were that he would be wary of the Intel mobo, simply because their BIOS tends to be not very user friendly:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.p ... board-woes

He recommended an ASRock board, giving much more flexibility in the BIOS and allowing you to do things like downclock the cpu to allow for easier cooling. What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-Z77E-ITX ... 475&sr=8-1

BTW, this mobo is shown in the HDplex H3 case gallery pics..... so is compatible with the fanless heatpipe cases.

Also, talked to him a bit about the fan vs fanless stuff. He sent on this link:

http://www.comairrotron.com/emi-emc-and-umf-dc-fans

More food for thought?

Fran
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: I have the ciunas set up with the zuma I am around the next few days if you want to give it a whirl. You can compare it to a very good cdp to get a comparison.
Would love to but I'm up to my proverbials until Sunday pm.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Meant to add - I have the fan rigged up to be switchable from separate supply to mobo supply.

Will be testing later tonight.

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Good work, Fran.Interesting info. Look forward to your fan experiment results.

The whole EMC/RFI issue was one of the things that I had read some time ago was less of an issue in laptops. I can't remember where I read it but AFAIR the thinking was that all components were in close proximity to one another & had to be better shielded from one another to avoid issues. So maybe more careful design needed in the layout of laptop motherboards?

I also thought that they might be better for audio because of the fact that they could be run without a ground connection to mains, thus avoiding ground loops with other equipment in the audio chain.

The theory seems sound enough but in practice neither my laptop nor Tony's sounded as good as the Zuma so maybe the elimination of the fan & spinning HDD in the Zuma trumps the fan based laptop?

Hmm, next experiment (i don't mean for you) - see if some heatsinking can be rigged on a laptop to eliminate the fan?

http://www.panasonic.com/business/tough ... ok-emi.asp
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

The theory seems sound enough but in practice neither my laptop nor Tony's sounded as good as the Zuma so maybe the elimination of the fan & spinning HDD in the Zuma trumps the fan based laptop?

Hmm, next experiment (i don't mean for you) - see if some heatsinking can be rigged on a laptop to eliminate the fan?

http://www.panasonic.com/business/tough ... ok-emi.asp

Yes SSD as per Ken and somehow deal with the fan and it would be interesting to see if that works. But an I7 laptop is probably up around €700-800. when you factor in the effort of trying to cool it and then buy an ssd the zuma or the plex (which I think makes more financial sense) is the better option. Your only hope is that a more basic laptop gives the same result.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Would love to but I'm up to my proverbials until Sunday pm.
Not sure if I will still have the zuma but if I do sunday evening late(working until 7) or else monday morning if that works for you.
I think it is very worthwhile hearing it Ivor especially if you are thinking about it this year. Anyway you will get to hear it at some meet over the next while and sure when I eventually succumb dates wont be an issue. Actually got a new shand amp today primaluna prologue 2. Hope to run it with the spendors but will try it out with el34's at some point with the 57's. Just need another dac if I could find the right one! and a 'zuma' like yoke and that's me finished.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:......and that's me finished.
Sure.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable