Ceol Speakers

terrybites

Ceol Speakers

Post by terrybites »

Hi all,

It's great to see John Kenny designing and manufacturing quality hifi products here in Ireland.

Does anybody remember Ceol speakers? They were designed and made in Dublin back in the 80's. There were two models... a two-way stand mounter with a timber cabinet and a three-part foam grill. I think the drivers were ScanSpeak and Kef (B200). Then there was a bookshelf model with the same tweeter and a Kef B110. They had a very rigid, all-metal casing. They danced all over Linn Kans and would always wow visitors with the enormous sound they managed.

T
Diapason

Re: Ceol Speakers

Post by Diapason »

I don't remember Ceol, but they sound like they were a bit before my time.

What about Walton Audio? They showed up in the Burlington one year with a very nice and sweet-sounding valve amp, as I recall. They had a motto like "listen to the feathers" or some such.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
JAW

Post by JAW »

Yes, I remember Ceol. I thought nobody else did! AFAIK they were manufactured in Rathmines, not far from where Noel Cloney was at the time. Probably late seventies or early eighties.
cybot

Post by cybot »

I remember them too! Never saw them in the flesh though. I think one of the hi fi rags did a review. Was it Hi Fi Choice?
Gregorio

Post by Gregorio »

Ceol?. I only ever heard the small ones...Beautifully made and they sounded pretty good too!. I think the company had a former Cloney staffer involved. I heard them in Lasky's on Sth Anne Street. I think the amp was a Crimson power/pre combo..(battery powered pre?), and a Thorens or Ariston TT they were based in Rathmines alright. back in the 80's, it was THE place for hifi shops..i remember three dealers , all within walking distance of each other. Halcyon days!
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

Rathmines was quite the hub for hifi back then. In fact, Laskys boss, Paddy Kelleghan, had another place on Wynnefield Road. It catered for anything above and beyond the much loved Dual 505/NAD 3020/AR 18 combo. Now we have Peats!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

terrybites wrote:Rathmines was quite the hub for hifi back then. In fact, Laskys boss, Paddy Kelleghan, had another place on Wynnefield Road. It catered for anything above and beyond the much loved Dual 505/NAD 3020/AR 18 combo. Now we have Peats!
Wasn't Laskeys on the corner Swanville Place? (across from the Swan Centre?). A guy working there, Frank Murray, later opened a hifi shop "Audio Tek" but his real business was fitting out clubs and pubs with big JBL systems. When he closed a few of his less likable staff opened Coel Hifi (no obvious connection with the speakers of the same name) a few yards up the aforementioned Swanville Place. These guys always had a bit of an attitude and I never set foot in the place although I passed it daily. They did seem to have some serious high end gear.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

That's right Ivor - Lasky's was on the corner of Swanville Place and Rathmines Road (and on Sth Anne Street). Frank Murray and Tony Boushel left to form Audio Tek. It was Tony who set up Ceol products and manufactured the speakers mentioned earlier. I had a pair of the larger models driven with a Naim NAC 12s/NAP 120 and LP12/Grace/Supex source. Sounded great.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Doesn't Audio Tek still exist?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

terrybites wrote: Frank Murray and Tony Boushel left to form Audio Tek. It was Tony who set up Ceol products and manufactured the speakers mentioned earlier.

Was Tony a tall guy with a 'tach? Really nice guy (as was Frank).
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable