Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: looked at that too interesting website but jplay on 2gb ram cant see it working as a standalone unit, as an audio pc im sure it would be fine and the cheaper case isn't as pretty.
but it is an audioPC that is being talked about so it's right on spec. T2 case is exactly the same as Zuma, AFAIK. I like the linear power supply & 64Gb SSD. Priced it up with T2 case (+£190) + Win 8 & Jplay(+£168) - comes to £707 including VAT - how does that compare to Zuma pricing? Edit: Just checked out the Caps V3 Zuma pricing on Computer Audiophile - when removed $400 for SOTM card - comes to about $1,200 or £780 - so equivalent in pricing apart from shipping & customs charges from USA, I guess?
these motherboards will have built in cpus and maybe ram, and will only be upgradable by replacing mother board cpu and ram together
Yes, good point but I guess the MBs would be cheap to replace & using a linear supply is important, I reckon so only a few MBs will qualify
downloading amarra now bloody slow download for a small file
I had a final chance (before I had to give back the MAC Air) to directly compare Amarra on Mac Air to Jplay on standalone netbook (HP as before). Amarra sounds good & I could probably live with it but Jplay (standalone) has just so much more sound stage & presence. So I guess, it's PC + Jplay for best sound - for now anyway.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

And given my experience with linux - which to my ears isn't at the races at all - it really does seem windows + jplay is the way to go.

FWIW, I have seen user windowsX - he what made fideliser software - say that he thinks that a single core processor sounds better than dual/quads.

Figure that one out for me.....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:And given my experience with linux - which to my ears isn't at the races at all - it really does seem windows + jplay is the way to go.

FWIW, I have seen user windowsX - he what made fideliser software - say that he thinks that a single core processor sounds better than dual/quads.

Fran
i read that three times thought i was reading it wrong!!!!
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: looked at that too interesting website but jplay on 2gb ram cant see it working as a standalone unit, as an audio pc im sure it would be fine and the cheaper case isn't as pretty.
but it is an audioPC that is being talked about so it's right on spec. T2 case is exactly the same as Zuma, AFAIK. I like the linear power supply & 64Gb SSD. Priced it up with T2 case (+£190) + Win 8 & Jplay(+£168) - comes to £707 including VAT - how does that compare to Zuma pricing? Edit: Just checked out the Caps V3 Zuma pricing on Computer Audiophile - when removed $400 for SOTM card - comes to about $1,200 or £780 - so equivalent in pricing apart from shipping & customs charges from USA, I guess?
these motherboards will have built in cpus and maybe ram, and will only be upgradable by replacing mother board cpu and ram together
Yes, good point but I guess the MBs would be cheap to replace & using a linear supply is important, I reckon so only a few MBs will qualify
downloading amarra now bloody slow download for a small file
I had a final chance (before I had to give back the MAC Air) to directly compare Amarra on Mac Air to Jplay on standalone netbook (HP as before). Amarra sounds good & I could probably live with it but Jplay (standalone) has just so much more sound stage & presence. So I guess, it's PC + Jplay for best sound - for now anyway.
was unimpressed by amarra even though i didn't spend long testing it tonight, i compared it to jplay streamed and it couldnt touch it.

does the SOTM card and sata noise filter make much difference?
as it adds a lot to the price
Last edited by nige2000 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
was unimpressed by amarra even though i didn't spend long testing it tonight, i compared it to jplay streamed and it couldnt touch it.
But in what ways did you find it lacking when compared to Jplay? it's always good to hear what elements are different.
the SOTM card and sata noise filter make much difference as it adds a lot to the price
I don't understand - do you mean SOTM DON'T make much difference or DO?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

john

sorry about that fixed the post

just wondered what you thought of these SOTM components

thanks nige
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sorry, Nige
I haven't got this PC - I was just pricing it to see what it came out at.
I don't reckon that the SOTM will have much significance to SQ with my USB devices anyway as they are self-powered & use asynchronous USB.
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Sorry, Nige
I haven't got this PC - I was just pricing it to see what it came out at.
I don't reckon that the SOTM will have much significance to SQ with my USB devices anyway as they are self-powered & use asynchronous USB.
ya that makes sense all right
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote: FWIW, I have seen user windowsX - he what made fideliser software - say that he thinks that a single core processor sounds better than dual/quads.

Hmmm, that wouldn't surprise me too much. If Jplay isn't written to use multi-threading then a (recent) single core is probably more powerful than one quarter of a quad. AssumingJplay can actually use the multi-threading possibilities (can it, has anyone checked?) then that aspect may not be implemented well in terms of splitting the job. After all, if things like contiguous memory are making a difference, then cache sharing across cores could make similar differences perhaps?

We come across such problems in work cos we're using a language that doesn't have multi-threading implemented properly. Our IT is always complaining that multi core processors are actually a step back for us in terms of the raw power needed for running one single job.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:
Fran wrote: FWIW, I have seen user windowsX - he what made fideliser software - say that he thinks that a single core processor sounds better than dual/quads.

Hmmm, that wouldn't surprise me too much. If Jplay isn't written to use multi-threading then a (recent) single core is probably more powerful than one quarter of a quad. AssumingJplay can actually use the multi-threading possibilities (can it, has anyone checked?) then that aspect may not be implemented well in terms of splitting the job. After all, if things like contiguous memory are making a difference, then cache sharing across cores could make similar differences perhaps?

We come across such problems in work cos we're using a language that doesn't have multi-threading implemented properly. Our IT is always complaining that multi core processors are actually a step back for us in terms of the raw power needed for running one single job.
theres very little that even utilises two cores nearly none that use four. the only benefit of multi cores for most users is multitasking sharing out the processes over the two or four or whatever cores, which greatly reduce the impact on performance of ~( play) while u are say browsing the web or on a email client.
two cores is enough for most users, unless u like running everything on the computer at the same time like i do.

nige