Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ken Moreland

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi Nige, yes I got the cable and connection was straightforward. Both PC's could see each other. In order to play Jplay I need to give both PC's an IP address which I successfully did on the old P4 but the new PC insists I install a network adapter before it will let me play with IP addresses. There is a network adapter on board called an Intel WG82567G Gigabit NIC but maybe it is incompatible. I usually run an ethernet cable into this connection direct to the modem and wirelessly from the streamer PC. I'm getting excellent sound this way but I'd like to compare with the crossover cable.
All advice welcome.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: id imagine in the same room and in the line of sight nearly any wifi gear will be fine and there shouldn't be any speed issue, i was more thinking about stability, a cd wav file was transferring about 2.6 mb/s so a hi res file is probably twice that it would never drop below 10 mb/s actual transfer. speed radically drops along with stability with losses in signal strength.
placement of wifi adapters and routers will have a strong effect too. i have some of the n wireless stuff claim 300 mb/s although i never seen anything close to that yet.

im a believer in a overkill in pc components, just so that the easier tasks don't miss a beat.

just some advice if anyone was in the market
Sure, I agree. Are you talking bits or bytes in the above 2.6mb/s? I presume you meant bytes as in 2.6mB/s which would translate into 8 times that for bits or about 21mb/s.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: id imagine in the same room and in the line of sight nearly any wifi gear will be fine and there shouldn't be any speed issue, i was more thinking about stability, a cd wav file was transferring about 2.6 mb/s so a hi res file is probably twice that it would never drop below 10 mb/s actual transfer. speed radically drops along with stability with losses in signal strength.
placement of wifi adapters and routers will have a strong effect too. i have some of the n wireless stuff claim 300 mb/s although i never seen anything close to that yet.

im a believer in a overkill in pc components, just so that the easier tasks don't miss a beat.

just some advice if anyone was in the market
Sure, I agree. Are you talking bits or bytes in the above 2.6mb/s? I presume you meant bytes as in 2.6mB/s which would translate into 8 times that for bits or about 21mb/s.
my bad
slap on wrist
ill type it correctly from now on

tried fully wifi streaming speeds
24/192 @ almost 8 m bytes per second and 4 for uncompressed cd quality wav, overkill to improve stability

wifi through a wall file transfer speed = 3.5-4 megabytes per second and ive good wifi equipment
ethernet cable 120 megabytes per second steady and fast

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Hi Nige, yes I got the cable and connection was straightforward. Both PC's could see each other. In order to play Jplay I need to give both PC's an IP address which I successfully did on the old P4 but the new PC insists I install a network adapter before it will let me play with IP addresses. There is a network adapter on board called an Intel WG82567G Gigabit NIC but maybe it is incompatible. I usually run an ethernet cable into this connection direct to the modem and wirelessly from the streamer PC. I'm getting excellent sound this way but I'd like to compare with the crossover cable.
All advice welcome.
KM
i didn't look into changing ip addresses on mine, could it be a driver issue, as i have noticed i had to manually install several updated drivers for wifi adapters and a ethernet card that windows didn't install correctly itself. ill give it a go tomorrow these settings hardly changed much. but can't imagine it as a incompatibility problem its just network settings there all the same windows, mac, linux

no point having a router in the middle if we don't need one
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

BTW, has anybody else tried Windows Ad-Hoc networking with Jplay? The idea being that you can connect two or more computers together without using a router - direct wifi to wifi. I tried it the other night but I was in the middle of lots of networking experiments & so can't remember why it didn't work.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:BTW, has anybody else tried Windows Ad-Hoc networking with Jplay? The idea being that you can connect two or more computers together without using a router - direct wifi to wifi. I tried it the other night but I was in the middle of lots of networking experiments & so can't remember why it didn't work.
never attempted it before, would be the most direct route
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: never attempted it before, would be the most direct route
Just had another go at it - if you set the IP addresses manually, Jplay finds the audioPC & it has all the indications of working - 54mbps & traffic on network graph (including the same bursty network traffic signal in task manager) but no sound :(

Hmmm!
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

frustrating!!!!
reboot?

if the pcs are detecting each other try to set up a home network
try transfer large files on a home network to test connection, (setup click on home network, gives password and enter password on other pc) it will show the actual speed
it saying its connected at 54mbps means f all

I'm going to stick with the cables

nige
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

It works. Ad hoc network is the way to go for simplicity & so far no glitches.
Would be interested in others experience.
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:It works. Ad hoc network is the way to go for simplicity & so far no glitches.
Would be interested in others experience.
ill give it a go to see what happens, did u have to do anything else after ad-hoc and assigning ip addresses and reboot