Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ken Moreland

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Ken Moreland »

A useful tool is Task Manager on W8 and if you select Performance you can see a running chart of RAM usage,WiFi performance and CPU percentage as well as C drive access, and your music drive access. As you run an album you can see the music drive being accessed, then the WiFi starting to communicate with the AudioPC. In my case the streamer is an antique P4 32bit and it has about 3.5Gb of useful RAM. 1.5Gb is cache size in JplayMini and another 1.5Gb is for Xtream. If I load up Google Chrome and open several tabs the RAM usage goes over the limit and the music stops.
If I set PacketSize to 0 I can see an almost flat waveform streaming but if I change it to 3 for example I can see huge spikes as large packets are transmitted.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:was looking at jplay streaming two pcs seems even better

was looking at what minimum specs might be for pcs so i looked at what resource uses was while running jplay

ram requirement

single pc 4.6 gb ram with jplay mini
single pc with jriver 4.1 gb

streaming
streamer 1.9 gb with jriver
streamer 2.4 gb with jplay mini (dont know why its more)

audio pc
0.9 gb with both jriver and jplay mini

cpu requirements are minimal, any pc meeting win 8 requirements should be fine
I'm not sure I follow - there's no need for JRiver on audio PC (the one connected to the DAC) - only need JPlayMini
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

In 2PC setup there should be nothing running on the AudioPC except JplayService.
No JplayMini , or Jplay Settings or anything else.
The StreamerPC needs JplayService, JplaySettings,and your interface of choice JplayMini,Foobar,Jriver etc

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony said:
"Would assume you need to add more ram for the other processes required to keep the think functioning?
How much more? I reckoned 8-12gb for the streamer max covered off current requirements. The guys on jplay with 18gb and more I assume want to watch movies play games and blow dry their hair while listening to music hence these mad gb ram requirements."

exactly right
if you were running an internet browser at the same time youd need + 1.5 gb, and a bit more for email etc,
but if i was buying ram for a streamer id be starting at 8gb if you want the use of the pc for any thing else at the same time as jplay (which i like to listen to music when im on the computer so id like to be able to do that)
ive a macbook pro i put the audiophile win8 from CA on the ssd its got 8 gb ram and works jplay perfect

ive installed win 8 retail version on a i5 760 cpu with 4gb ram and its making some errors as a single.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:was looking at jplay streaming two pcs seems even better

was looking at what minimum specs might be for pcs so i looked at what resource uses was while running jplay

ram requirement

single pc 4.6 gb ram with jplay mini
single pc with jriver 4.1 gb

streaming
streamer 1.9 gb with jriver
streamer 2.4 gb with jplay mini (dont know why its more)

audio pc
0.9 gb with both jriver and jplay mini

cpu requirements are minimal, any pc meeting win 8 requirements should be fine
I'm not sure I follow - there's no need for JRiver on audio PC (the one connected to the DAC) - only need JPlayMini
correct, bit of a stupid statement alright, just showing that jriver on the streamer had no effect on the audio pc requirements

any luck with the windows to go set up, i dont have a suitable usb drive at the moment

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Using the same arrangement as Ken for connecting laptops. i.e wired to dac connected and wireless from the streamer. All working very well and stable. Just to be totally honest the only problem now is xtream exiting and starting next playback. If demonstrating to a newbie I believe it would be a total turn off but that is a problem for Marcin and Josef to solve.

Would agree with 'Nigels Principle' overdose on the specs to ensure quality and stability regardless of what the minimum requirements are. After all most of us just want to plug and play. There is nothing more annoying than constant hanging requiring reboots etc. It diminishes the value and enjoyment. Of course I would baulk at zuma expenditure levels to get stability.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
markof

Post by markof »

jkeny wrote: Mark, I've been doing some testing of my new DAC with Macs & Fidelia & Audirvana & comparing to Jplay. I'm not a Mac guy so I hadn't an opportunity to test this before but I was spurred on recently & borrowed a Mac Air on which to test
Summary of my results:
- Audirvana Plus (15 day trial): (with direct mode & integer mode turned on, bypassed vol control) - sounded a bit sibilant & harsh, maybe it could be described as overly etched
- Fidelia (15 day license - don't have the advanced version): (cant find a way of bypassing vol control so turned up full) - not harsh or sibilant but sounded too civilised (veiled?) & a bit rolled off in the highs. Lacking the excitement of that "being there" illusion.

- Jplay (running on single laptop - using JplayMini) - excellent - civilised but not rolled off, no sibilance, lots of sound stage; lots of presence!
- Jplay (streaming between 2 laptops) - even better - more of everything, effortless presentation.

Anybody else tried these different players?

Oh i hope to try out Amarra too
Hi John,
Thanks for the comparisons. I heard the harshness you described but not the sibilance and only when using direct connection adaptors. This was cured using the short cable mentioned above and of course this was without direct/integer mode.
Am looking forward to hearing your new DAC.
In addition to Audirvana and Fidelia, I have also tried out the Decible and BitPerfect players, but Audirvana sounds best to me, especially in stand-alone mode.
Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Using the same arrangement as Ken for connecting laptops. i.e wired to dac connected and wireless from the streamer. All working very well and stable. Just to be totally honest the only problem now is xtream exiting and starting next playback. If demonstrating to a newbie I believe it would be a total turn off but that is a problem for Marcin and Josef to solve.

Would agree with 'Nigels Principle' overdose on the specs to ensure quality and stability regardless of what the minimum requirements are. After all most of us just want to plug and play. There is nothing more annoying than constant hanging requiring reboots etc. It diminishes the value and enjoyment. Of course I would baulk at zuma expenditure levels to get stability.
hi tony

yea its definetly a bit daunting for new comers that just just want to turn it on select a track and play it with out any hastle with there pcs not up to the task, and the two pc thing, while it might be feasible to run the audio pc with reduced processes id image most other people would like to have secondary uses for their streamer pc which is probably going to need 16gb ram to do its tasks like its shooting the breeze. id try to use a network cable if streaming for ultimate stability

must say though i had a look at building a zuma type pc (its a beautiful case the streacom fanless)

would be able to build a starter kit from about 710 euro
http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product ... tails.aspx
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/160w-pic ... acom-cases
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/streacom ... -atx-black

you wont need all the ram if using as an audio pc, but two sticks is only 30 euro more than one
of course you'll need a copy of win 8 and a keyboard and monitor for set up then you get worry about these:

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/SOtM ... USBexp.htm
http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/SOtM ... TMSATA.htm

it would sit nicely on a shelf, but i have a lot of parts lying around i can use
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

markof wrote: Hi John,
Thanks for the comparisons. I heard the harshness you described but not the sibilance and only when using direct connection adaptors. This was cured using the short cable mentioned above and of course this was without direct/integer mode.
Yes but my point is - is the harshness coming from Audirvana & the direct connection is exposing it? Thinking about it - it may have been turning on Integere mode & direct mode that increased the detail to the level of harshness? I'm of the opinion that this is the case as I can hear this harshness with various cables but have a particular cable which reduces/eliminates it but at the expense of a rolled off HF. This is all my opinion of what I hear YMMV
Great :)
In addition to Audirvana and Fidelia, I have also tried out the Decible and BitPerfect players, but Audirvana sounds best to me, especially in stand-alone mode.
Mark.
Yes, I haven't tried these & probably won't - try Amarra HiFi - it seems to have the same sound engine as it's bigger brother & only $49. Try 15 day evaluation & post your thoughts, please.
Last edited by jkeny on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

markof wrote:
jkeny wrote: Mark, I've been doing some testing of my new DAC with Macs & Fidelia & Audirvana & comparing to Jplay. I'm not a Mac guy so I hadn't an opportunity to test this before but I was spurred on recently & borrowed a Mac Air on which to test
Summary of my results:
- Audirvana Plus (15 day trial): (with direct mode & integer mode turned on, bypassed vol control) - sounded a bit sibilant & harsh, maybe it could be described as overly etched
- Fidelia (15 day license - don't have the advanced version): (cant find a way of bypassing vol control so turned up full) - not harsh or sibilant but sounded too civilised (veiled?) & a bit rolled off in the highs. Lacking the excitement of that "being there" illusion.

- Jplay (running on single laptop - using JplayMini) - excellent - civilised but not rolled off, no sibilance, lots of sound stage; lots of presence!
- Jplay (streaming between 2 laptops) - even better - more of everything, effortless presentation.

Anybody else tried these different players?

Oh i hope to try out Amarra too
Hi John,
Mark.
what made jplay stand out for me even in single mode over audivarna was the increase in sound stage, audivarna was more restricted for me.
the worse thing is i really wanted jplay to be not as good im none too fond of windows, i have a licence for both and i will continue to use audivarna on the macbook and headphones and till i get the jplay set up simplified.

what pc spec did u do your testing on as jplay is hungry for ram in single mode mine uses 4.6 gigabytes in single and yould want to give it some room as well. tried a mediocre pc last night with 4 gb it was very unimpressive needed more ram.

nige