Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by jkeny »

OK, on one laptop I can change the Bios to USB boot - on the other laptop I have to press F12 when powering up & it allows USB boot selection.

Problem is neither actually boot - Win 8 starts to boot up & circle of dots rotate around for a while but then it does a restart & second boot attempt it reports "Operating System on your PC failed to start ..... you need to use the recovery tools on your installation media"

Probably need a full Win 8 system to create USB-on-the-go , rather than a beta/developers system
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

To make the ready to go disk from W7 you need to download a tool pack from windows -AIPK thing. Then you use a imagex command in the dos prompt aprrently - or something! Its a 2gb download and not particualrly quick either. Won't get this done tonight I reckon.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/53 ... -disk.html

you should be able to set the boot priority in the bios, or hit one of the other keys at startup to select where to boot from. Other than that I don't know.

I know I followed a different set of instructions so far which told me to make a small boot partition on the drive and make it bootable (did you do this in DOS bdcboot command) and then install the iinstall.wim to the other partition.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, Fran, I downloaded that AIPK iso image & unpacked it but couldn't find the IMAGE.EXE file that they talk about so I gave that up.

I followed the instructions here http://terrytlslau.tls1.cc/2012/03/crea ... e-for.html for WIN 8

But when you create the boot record at the end, I'm pretty sure it takes it from your existing OS & not from the "audiophile Win 8 image" - that's why mine won't work - my existing Win 8 is a beta :(

I'll try creating the USB boot record from the "Audiophile iso image" & see how that goes!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I agree, Fran, this Windows stuff is a nightmare. At least Linux is logical & doesn't require 2Gb downloads in order to get at one small executable file within it. I've had more frustration trying to create a boot partition on the USB stick - Windows doesn't support boot partitions on disks of 32Gb or less :( So off to download some tool which gets around this - which doesn't work, of course. What a waste of time & energy.
www.Ciunas.biz
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Mmmm. I think you are running the DOS commands wrong - you need to be careful that you are using imageX (I stuck it in its own c:\folder so I didn't have to type a big long path in DOS) to put the install.wim from the iso onto the stick. Then you run the BCD command to make the boot from the stick to the stick if you know what I mean.

ANyway, I think there's something wrong with the stick I bought - its getting hot and very slow indeed....... so yes, this is a pain and probably not worth it.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

windows to go is looking like a right PITA, might leave ye at it, till you see if there's any advantages

anyone unable to use a wired network for jplay streaming and relying on a dubious wifi connection should consider
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... e=&seller=
and
http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product ... tails.aspx

the alfa usb wifi adapter is one of the strongest and stable wifi adapters on the consumer market and is a popular piece of equipment with wifi hackers, just be careful were u get them there are some bad copies

the router is also very popular for houses with thick walls and difficult wifi conditions

the difference in signal strength could go from 20% to 80% that big of a difference!!!
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:Mmmm. I think you are running the DOS commands wrong - you need to be careful that you are using imageX (I stuck it in its own c:\folder so I didn't have to type a big long path in DOS) to put the install.wim from the iso onto the stick. Then you run the BCD command to make the boot from the stick to the stick if you know what I mean.
Yes, I'm creating the boot on the stick using ISO image itself & not using the OS on the PC but it isn't working - I reckon it's checking the validity of the OS you are doing it from? I'm going to bring it into work & see if anyone has a win 8 computer that I can create the boot from
ANyway, I think there's something wrong with the stick I bought - its getting hot and very slow indeed....... so yes, this is a pain and probably not worth it.

Fran
No, probably nothing wrong with the stick, it's just very slow - my first stick was the same, slow & hot (trying to avoid double entendres :)) - it's the write speed of the stick that's the problem. That Sandisk I linked to flies along & finishes in 39 mins

I just like the idea of having a portable, good sounding Jplay setup that I can bring anywhere so I'll give it a bit more effort. It's just all the gotchas with Win that really piss me off
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:windows to go is looking like a right PITA, might leave ye at it, till you see if there's any advantages

anyone unable to use a wired network for jplay streaming and relying on a dubious wifi connection should consider
and

the alfa usb wifi adapter is one of the strongest and stable wifi adapters on the consumer market and is a popular piece of equipment with wifi hackers, just be careful were u get them there are some bad copies

the router is also very popular for houses with thick walls and difficult wifi conditions

the difference in signal strength could go from 20% to 80% that big of a difference!!!
Thanks Nige
I had problems with my wifi connection using my O2 cable modem so I dug out an old Netgear DG-N modem & using it as a standalone network, I get 130 - 150Mbps speed but that's in the same room - I haven't tried it with a wall between. I got one or two glitches - what is the lowest acceptable transmission speed do you reckon?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:windows to go is looking like a right PITA, might leave ye at it, till you see if there's any advantages

and

Thanks Nige
I had problems with my wifi connection using my O2 cable modem so I dug out an old Netgear DG-N modem & using it as a standalone network, I get 130 - 150Mbps speed but that's in the same room - I haven't tried it with a wall between. I got one or two glitches - what is the lowest acceptable transmission speed do you reckon?
id imagine in the same room and in the line of sight nearly any wifi gear will be fine and there shouldn't be any speed issue, i was more thinking about stability, a cd wav file was transferring about 2.6 mb/s so a hi res file is probably twice that it would never drop below 10 mb/s actual transfer. speed radically drops along with stability with losses in signal strength.
placement of wifi adapters and routers will have a strong effect too. i have some of the n wireless stuff claim 300 mb/s although i never seen anything close to that yet.

im a believer in a overkill in pc components, just so that the easier tasks don't miss a beat.

just some advice if anyone was in the market
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Yes they're down to about 8 or 9 services ok. I'm sure it makes an improvement but you need to know what you're doing.

Tony , more RAM on the AudioPC is of no value to you because you're streaming from the other laptop. I bought a DualBand Modem/router and ran everything in the house off it with me on 5Ghz and the rest on 2.4Ghz but for some reason ,when using USB Netgear network adapter on the AudioPC it frequently hung up coming out of Hibernate. I tried a different Cisco adapter but similar problem. This is a known Windows problem and no solution was to be had so I reverted to the old modem/router for domestic use and use a cable between the AudioPC and the router (same as Tony's setup) and wireless from streamer to router.

I ordered an ethernet crossover cable (for 5Pounds I couldn't not) and will compare when it arrives. If it's better I'll sell the router to Tony for a very good price.

KM
ken
did u get trying the crossover cable yet?