Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ken Moreland

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by Ken Moreland »

Yes they're down to about 8 or 9 services ok. I'm sure it makes an improvement but you need to know what you're doing.

Tony , more RAM on the AudioPC is of no value to you because you're streaming from the other laptop. I bought a DualBand Modem/router and ran everything in the house off it with me on 5Ghz and the rest on 2.4Ghz but for some reason ,when using USB Netgear network adapter on the AudioPC it frequently hung up coming out of Hibernate. I tried a different Cisco adapter but similar problem. This is a known Windows problem and no solution was to be had so I reverted to the old modem/router for domestic use and use a cable between the AudioPC and the router (same as Tony's setup) and wireless from streamer to router.

I ordered an ethernet crossover cable (for 5Pounds I couldn't not) and will compare when it arrives. If it's better I'll sell the router to Tony for a very good price.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Ken Moreland wrote:Yes they're down to about 8 or 9 services ok. I'm sure it makes an improvement but you need to know what you're doing.

Tony , more RAM on the AudioPC is of no value to you because you're streaming from the other laptop. I bought a DualBand Modem/router and ran everything in the house off it with me on 5Ghz and the rest on 2.4Ghz but for some reason ,when using USB Netgear network adapter on the AudioPC it frequently hung up coming out of Hibernate. I tried a different Cisco adapter but similar problem. This is a known Windows problem and no solution was to be had so I reverted to the old modem/router for domestic use and use a cable between the AudioPC and the router (same as Tony's setup) and wireless from streamer to router.

I ordered an ethernet crossover cable (for 5Pounds I couldn't not) and will compare when it arrives. If it's better I'll sell the router to Tony for a very good price.

KM
OK thanks ken, well blast that I just bought an all singing and dancing Linksys router as WiFi was terrible in the house.Damn thing didn't work and is back with komplett to be replaced. I had a hour and half chat session with a cisco techie who eventually declared the product defective. It was impossible to connect to it.

About the ram your saying i need it on my streamer rather than the dac pc?
To me there are conflicting stories here. If you look on the jplay forum there are guys there with 16-32gb ram on their laptop/pcs. Is it all over the top?
Last edited by tony on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Getting it down to 8 or 9 is good, but is it stable I wonder?
OK:

I went back at it again when I got home.

Disconnected any parts on the mobo that I could get away with. This leaves the HDD as the only boot device.

Bios: disabled series and parallel ports, disabled floppy controllers too

Services: I used the link that Ken kindly posted from blackviper.com for W7 - I did his "tweak" settings. There's quite a list - I putting it about 50 changes I'd say, but easily enough all in services.

Running total commander

Yet to do: uninstall internet explorer!

This still leaves wifi on (I need that for now at least), and security stuff running (need to check that windows update is off)

Sound since these changes: more dynamic, little details easier to pick out. More convincing performance.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Be interesting to see how you get on Fran. I still think that the current windows 8 pc's/laptops with fast processors i.e. quad core(dual with hyperthreading) are the minimum required for stability but your testing might prove otherwise.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Still tweaking but no problems so far here tonight, no glitches etc.

I'll post the full settings when I do a bit more testing. Currently uninstalling IE and I might turn off the windows update service.

I'm down to 26 processes running. Long way to 9, but not bad at all!

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Got myself a 32gB USB stick.
Followed this guys instructions for setting up USB-to-Go which allows Win 8 to boot from USB stick on any computer
http://terrytlslau.tls1.cc/2012/03/crea ... e-for.html

It's currently loading the "audiophile" stripped down Win 8 image onto the USB stick - seems to be progressing OK.
It also appears that when you boot Win 8 from the USB stick, that it won't ask for activation key
"As a final note, make sure that your computer is configured to boot from the device you are about to use, i.e., USB drive. Also the first time that you install Windows 8 doesn’t need to be activated– Windows To Go startup will take a bit of time, because this is the first time booting from that particular machine, then the next time it will boot faster, and if you are prompted to enter the product key, just click Skip" - quoted from the end of the page here http://pureinfotech.com/2011/09/28/how- ... p-by-step/

I will report how it goes when finished - running for 20mins & only 4% complete :(

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm doing all this on my laptop which is booted into a free Win 8 Developers Preview
BTW, the hardest part was finding out how to run CMD in admin mode - none of the instructions on-line worked - so here's my tip - it's under File in any folder in Explorer - run CMD & it will give you the choice of running it as administrator - you seem to need this for some commands!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I got my W7 build pretty stable it seems. Goes in and out of hibernate grand and working AOk headless.

I added a bit more ram to the audioPC so spec:

AudioPC
P4 3.0gHz
W7 ultimate, but with blackvipers "tweaked" services, nothing installed only jplay
2.5gB ram
No hardware other than wifi card, USB, HDD. Everything that can be disabled in bios done.

Streamer PC:
W7 home premium 64
i3 2.53ghx cpu
8gB ram
SSD
pretty much nothing optimised!

jplay settings:
xtream
native
buffer 2, 32, 64
thr0ttle on
hibernate on

regedit:
packetsize 0
xtreamsize 750
xtreamstop 3000
minicache 2500

Seems stable as I said, but the odd track I do get the 10s repeat at the end.

Fran
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

WoW...some serious activity here since I was last logged in....looks like we could all be calling on Fran for advice on optimising Windows.

John I am still in LA but could not resist checking in to see how TirNaHiFi addicts are getting on!!!

I will be back in Ireland on Wednesday so I will catch up with you maybe thursday or friday to pickup the Meitner, looking forward to hear how the new project is coming along.

Looks like this could be the year for some serious momentum in PC based playback...looking forward to it.

Tony check out the blurb on the Meicord ethernet cable, certainly reads well but lets see what an Eircom head might make of it!!!
http://meicord.de/index.php?id=dietechnologie&L=3

Pearse.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Right,

I got my new 32gb usb stick in the post today. Now have it partitioned and formatted according to the guide, but turns out I have to install some other MS yoke to let me copy the iso over properly. Waiting on that now. Jaysus they don't make it easy thats for sure.

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:Right,

I got my new 32gb usb stick in the post today. Now have it partitioned and formatted according to the guide, but turns out I have to install some other MS yoke to let me copy the iso over properly. Waiting on that now. Jaysus they don't make it easy thats for sure.

Fran
Fran what OS are you running on the laptop that you are going to do this - 7?
I'm not sure if you can do this from a Win 7 m/c - the DISM utility that does the copy of the image to the USB stick, doesn't seem to support creating an OS image on USB, only Win 8 does this, I think?
I got twisted in knots trying to do this - I had to download a developers version of Win 8 which keeps rebooting every hour but the copy to USB stick was taking longer than an hour so was never finishing. I had to get the fastest 32Gb USB stick I could find - a Sandisk Extreme Pro - it's a USB 3 €26 in Pixmania - better than the €39 I spent for the Transcend piece of crap I bought in town :)

Now all I have to do is find out how to change the Bios to boot from USB - I don't have boot from USB in both laptop Bioss that I tried so far. Any ideas?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.