Buying/searching on the net how do you do it?

block

Buying/searching on the net how do you do it?

Post by block »

Just wondering how you guys buy new seperates when you start upgrading.

I'm currently looking for an integrated and after I upgraded I usually stay away from forums to save money 8)

But looking for an integrated or any parts for that matter you get some seriously good value going down the 2nd hand route.
Sifting through the net the amount of amps that interest me seem to be both varied in terms of price, type and location (UK/IRL)

Now in a perfect world I would have a home demo but that is not going to hapen if buying 2nd hand especially if it's in Uk.

I remember reading in some forum that the best way is to read reviews (which may or may not be biased) and read peoples opinions on forums (which again maybe biased if that person actually bought it with his hard earned money)
I could buy in Ireland and listen to that persons setup but when brought back to my system may sound completely different anyways.
Or I could buy from uk which have a bigger selection but now I have to add the uncertainty of delivery damage as well.

At this point in time I'm burnt out from looking at forums everyday but I have to admit I've caught up in whats out there available now.

So back to my main question buying/searching on the net how do you do it?

thanks
block

ps. current interested amps classe cap 2100/sugden a21se/ bel canto s300i/ bel canto ref 1000
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Buying/searching on the net how do you do it?

Post by Fran »

Truthfully - by listening to other peoples systems and maybe shows, followed by opinions from others here etc that I would know.

and luck!!

Be careful of fora as there is often a "flavour of the month" thing where you get recommended something as the best ever and then only to be replaced a month later.....

It ain't easy!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Mmmm, as time goes on I care less and less about the opinion of others, and I pretty much wouldn't buy anything now without an audition in my system first. This may limit options a little, but ultimately I don't believe in components that are head and shoulders above their peers. After a while I really think it's all synergy.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: After a while I really think it's all synergy.
Agree 100%. Of course when considering a new piece of kit conside rwill it work with existing gear. In fairness the guys around here are generally good at that.

I started by buying second hand gear from shops, trade-ins and demo stuff. I'd still see that as a fairly safe way to go. The classifieds here are fairly safe as well... we know most of the sellers. If you had any doubts just email a moderator and they should be able to tell you if the seller is known/safe.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
block

Post by block »

Diapason wrote: After a while I really think it's all synergy.
I agree too but like Fran said it's luck unless you actually get a home demo.

It's easier for a lot of you guys as I guess most of the members on the forums here are in and around Dublin but I'm down in Cork so I think most of the time a home demo would be out of the question.

One of the amps I'm interested is in Dublin and I have no doubt is far superior than my audiolabs but I'll be listening in a system again far superior to mines again.
I know I will not be able to replicate his sound but I can imagine myself being very nervous when first hooking the amp up to my system!
I'll probably convince myself it sounds better even if it didn't after spending so much lol

It's just that its so easy to buy but so difficult to sell that I feel I have to be careful.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You're dead right to be careful, but I know where you're coming from. As you say, it's easy for me to pop into Cloney Audio and borrow stuff (not least because I've a very good relationship with them having been a customer for years) and I can also hear equipment at other members' homes.

I suppose I've just been surprised on so many occasions when stuff didn't sound the way I was expecting, or the way I'd heard it sound elsewhere, that I consider these waters to be shark-infested. For example, I've had any number of amps through my system that were really well-reviewed, and sound really great in the right circumstances, but that I couldn't live with at all. I've also had massive problems with speakers sounding great when heard in one location, but HORRIBLE at home. It's really quite difficult to get a handle on that stuff.

Anyway, best of luck with the search, and hopefully anything you get will be magic when you fire it up.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
block

Post by block »

I remember asking for your advice on tvs a long time ago when you had a pioneer plasma Diapason!
Now here you are again giving advice on amps.

I remember you had a krell integrated which I was interested in too but since then you really spent some serious money!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Wow, that's not today or yesterday! I still have a Pioneer plasma (a different one, though) and the original is still going strong in my brother's house.

I really liked that Krell integrated, although I'm not sure I ever owned it. Did I? LOL, I can't remember. My current amps were probably cheaper than it cost new...
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
sebna

Post by sebna »

Yep, I strongly believe in that paper towel above :D
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+