Suggest a radio/music player

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Rocker

Suggest a radio/music player

Post by Rocker »

Having spent the last week in hospital [a severe viral infection], I found that a headphones radio/music player was essential. The hospital entertainment equipment [TV] did not work so I used my phone with the supplied earbuds. The sound quality was poor and the radio devoured the phone batteries.

I am not planning a repeat visit to hospital but would appreciate suggestions on how to solve the following problem. Basically I need a headphones radio and all the better if I could load some of my music files. I don't like ear buds so decent headphones that sit on or over the ear are needed. Middling or decent sound quality would be a bonus, I found the sound quality from the phone to be grating and very closed in, not enjoyable but OK for speech, any music tired me very quickly.

And a one box solution is required if this is possible. Thanks.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Adrian

Re: Suggest a radio/music player

Post by Adrian »

I use the Bose QC 15 headphones a lot, not cheap however they have a number of advantages.

Noise cancelling, which makes a huge difference to music listening. In addition it allows to listen to music at lower volumes as background noise is reduced.

Detachable phono plug into the headset, which is handy if the cable gets caught up and this prevents damage to the head phones of having them ripped off your head etc.

High and low settings on the headphones, good for inflight entertainment systems on planes etc which have volume control issues especially when there is a cabin announcement. Some stewardess habitually SHOUT into the PA system not realising normal speaking tones suffice. You know the type... one frequently sees them in public places i.e. buses, trains etc shouting into their phone for the other 70 odd passengers to hear.

Well designed case to store the head set.

Disadvantages are cost, requires 1 AAA battery and not really suitable for the gym as they are "on ear".

As for radio I recently bought a eton G3 SW, copy of a Grundig G3 which has very good reception. However this will not store music.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Noise cancelling, which makes a huge difference to music listening. In addition it allows to listen to music at lower volumes as background noise is reduced.
These are good for that too ..
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG (66.29 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hi Tom
I have one of the little creative Zen gadgets, I haven't used it in a long time but recall being happy with it, I used to use it in work.
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/
I used ear buds with it. I have no idea what it's like, or if it can drive good headphones.
The ear bud/headphone lead acts as an FM aerial.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

if your phone is an iPhone check out the fiio mobile headphone amps/ dac-headphone amps...

they provide a substantial performance boost...

I've used one with both earbuds (klipsch) and headphones (akg)

they have models to suit most budgets too...

for radio I use Internet....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

My phone is not a smartphone. The radio on it is very poor sounwise, ok for talk shows but hopeless at music. I will look in the Dublin shops for the device that Derek suggested, one of those along with the headphones suggested [in another post] by Fran should do the trick.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
tony

Post by tony »

Rocker wrote:My phone is not a smartphone. The radio on it is very poor sounwise, ok for talk shows but hopeless at music. I will look in the Dublin shops for the device that Derek suggested, one of those along with the headphones suggested [in another post] by Fran should do the trick.
If they are the superluxes just be aware they are big and leak sound. They also have a big gold connector reducing the size for mp3 player headphone sockets. Forget the size 3.5m or something. They sound fine I have a pair and use them connected to a laptop and have used them with an ipod but they can be hard work for long periods if that is the use you are going to put them to. Tom even if it is a mistake they are so cheap it is worth buying anyway.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Tom:

If you don't mind a bit of leakage (in other words others can slightly hear the sound) then sennheiser PX100 are very good indeed. There is another model that they do, I think its PX200 that has noise cancelling - good if you are on a flight or something like that.

If it is important that others can't hear it (eg in hospital, bit hard of hearing so you need to turn it up more, late at night listening etc etc etc) then the only real route is to get in-ear monitors. Thats a whole other thing then, and seeing as you are sticking them in your ears, much like those little foam hearing protectors, comfort becomes important.

If you have iTunes installed already, then go for an iPod. If you don't, then you have a fairly wide range of devices to choose from. I use a thing from microsoft called a zune - and sq is pretty good from it. Radio reception isn't brilliant but OK.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try