What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

with such crappy weather this morning I kicked off the day with some Mendelssohn.

followed by...

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Dave, I love that Abbado/LSO Mendelssohn box set, everyone should have a copy of it. I trust that your girlfriend is still fond of Mendelssohn then?

Claude Debussy
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
La Mer

Concertgebouw Orchestra
Bernard Haitink conducting

This is a lovely version of Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune. This disc also contains my favourite recording of La Mer with its gorgeous swirling sheets of sound, it is played beautifully by the CO, I love it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:Dave, I love that Abbado/LSO Mendelssohn box set, everyone should have a copy of it. I trust that your girlfriend is still fond of Mendelssohn then?
Both Mendelssohn and Chopin are her favorites but she's not really a big classical listener. Anyway she's not around for the weekend so I have these few days off to listen to music. Metal, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Country, Blues... its all being played. Blissful!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
One of my favourite female voices!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:Dave, I love that Abbado/LSO Mendelssohn box set, everyone should have a copy of it. I trust that your girlfriend is still fond of Mendelssohn then?
Both Mendelssohn and Chopin are her favorites but she's not really a big classical listener. Anyway she's not around for the weekend so I have these few days off to listen to music. Metal, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Country, Blues... its all being played. Blissful!
When the cat is away the mice behave like rats....go for it Dave....and enjoy the mix!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart – German Dances....

....evoking scenes of elegant gentlefolk dancing in lavish 18th century ballrooms!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Claude Debussy
La Mer

Concertgebouw Orchestra

This is a lovely version of Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune. This disc also contains my favourite recording of La Mer with its gorgeous swirling sheets of sound, it is played beautifully by the CO, I love it.
Bernard Haitink has a wonderful way with Debussy, Sean. I have a double CD of his performances of Debussy's orchestral music with the Concertgebouw Orchestra on Philips and find him to be one of the most thoughtful and penetrating interpreters of this great music. With regard to La Mer and Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune in particular, probably only Karajan's majestic 1964 recording with the BPO (on DG and coupled with equally fine versions of Ravel's second concert suite of Daphnis et Chloe and Bolero) can compare.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The best conductor of Haydn's symphonic work imho. I listened to Dorati's version afterwards and there is just no comparison. Goodman's treatment of the second movement of the 'Surprise' symphony is simply astounding.
Seán

Post by Seán »

mcq wrote:

Claude Debussy
La Mer

Concertgebouw Orchestra

Bernard Haitink has a wonderful way with Debussy, Sean. I have a double CD of his performances of Debussy's orchestral music with the Concertgebouw Orchestra on Philips and find him to be one of the most thoughtful and penetrating interpreters of this great music. With regard to La Mer and Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune in particular, probably only Karajan's majestic 1964 recording with the BPO (on DG and coupled with equally fine versions of Ravel's second concert suite of Daphnis et Chloe and Bolero) can compare.
I have two copies of La Mer by HvK and one of them is the BPO recording from 1964 and it is terrific but I do prefer the Haitink/CO recording.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:The best conductor of Haydn's symphonic work imho. I listened to Dorati's version afterwards and there is just no comparison. Goodman's treatment of the second movement of the 'Surprise' symphony is simply astounding.
I still haven't listened to any of the Goodman/Hanover Band Haydn recordings, perhaps that's a good thing.