Sky HD box and Internet connection

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Rocker

Sky HD box and Internet connection

Post by Rocker »

Someone here might know if by connecting my Sky HD box to the LAN in our house, would I be able to "see" the hard disk drive on the Sky box from my computer. Could I copy from the Sky box to my computer hard drive? Our house was built before cabling for internet in every room became commonplace, to connect our Sky box to the LAN would require the use of a 'Lan over mains' cable solution. I saw such boxes in Maplins and PC World..

Thanks.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Diapason

Re: Sky HD box and Internet connection

Post by Diapason »

The answer is basically no, because the stuff is stored in an encoded format on the Sky box which requires a current Sky subscription to view. So, if you have a movie saved, for example, but you downgrade and get rid of a Sky Movies subscription, you can't watch it. In a similar way, if your dish blows over in the wind you can't watch anything you've saved on the box.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I should say that it is possible to copy from the box by effectively playing whatever you want and recording the output from SCART or component. You can't copy HD to the best of my knowledge. Not ideal, but better than nothing if there's something you need to keep.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

If you really want to record from your sky box the only way is to buy a cheap DVD recorder and connect the vcr scart at the back of the sky box
to the dvd recorder,than you can copy anything from the planner or anytime menu's on the sky box in a couple of minutes to the hard drive on the
dvd recorder.Won't record in hd though..