New DAC or Not ???

sdiesel77

New DAC or Not ???

Post by sdiesel77 »

Hi All !

Hope you had a great X-mas time.

I'm currently wondering if I should or not replace my DAC (Dacmagic 2010)

I won't have a mad budget for a new one and I'll need one compatible with the squeezebox touch (either by Optical or USB).

Currently I'm using optical.

If possible, I'd love to try couple of DACs to be sure it's worth changing for a new one so if there is any volunteers to lend me one I'll be super-mega-Happy :P

Cheers,
S
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
tony

Re: New DAC or Not ???

Post by tony »

Have been following a lot of the dac threads on the uk forums.Some great fights! Would the mf dac for sale here be worth trying? I am very interested in the metrum octave dac (nos with tubes) but that is €700+ and doesn't have usb.

Look lets cut to the chase here most of the dudes have jkdac somethings but I don't think the dacs will work for you but the spdif yokes will.
Doesn't Ken have one that he was selling due to upgrades?

There seems to be a huge selection out there it is just finding the one that is special that is the hard part.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Sorry Steph, Tony is delirious. I am a JKDAC32 man and I sold my previous Benchmark earlier in the year. The JKDAC32 with Jplay is really something, maybe worth consideration. Call round anytime to hear the latest version of Jplay, I 'm currently testing the latest Beta version.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Ken Moreland wrote:Sorry Steph, Tony is delirious. I am a JKDAC32 man and I sold my previous Benchmark earlier in the year. The JKDAC32 with Jplay is really something, maybe worth consideration. Call round anytime to hear the latest version of Jplay, I 'm currently testing the latest Beta version.
KM
Me delirious? Did you not have a jk modified spdif with the benchmark before the jkdac32, I thought that might work between the squeezebox and a pc? I don't think the squeezebox will work with the jkdac32?

Convenience probably rules out the jkdac32 but Pearse's implementation gives all the functionality of the squeezebox but fantastic sound quality. Problem is it will cost a fair bit to implement.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Apologies to Tony, now I've read his post correctly. I do have a JKMk2 Hiface which converts USB to SPDIF and you're welcome to try it or even buy it to use with a conventional DAC. So if you can borrow a DAC let me know and we'll meet up.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

I'll be indeed happy to try the JKDAC32 on the squeezebox :)
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Steph, both the JKDAC32 and the JKMk2 Hiface require drivers in the PC to operate directly. I don''t know anything about the Squeezebox but I don't think you can run one into a JK product. Could you tell us your proposed lineup? Mine is PC to DAC to Amp. KM
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Hi Ken,

oh... that's right we talked about it already.. crap ! :(
tony

Post by tony »

Thank god not totally losing the marbles. I think steph you need to do some digging on squeezebox forums for options. PSU's seem to be a popular upgrade but when you check that out you get people who hear no improvement and others who can't believe the quality increase.

Is there not always going to be a bit of problem with quality using the squeezebox due to the quality of its dac?
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Hey Tony
I already have a nice psu for the SBT :-)

Regarding the internal Dac the signal is bypassing it as I'm using the digital output.

I'll be looking to try different Dacs to see of there is a significant improvement from the DacMagic.