Eating out in the O'Connell street area????

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Rocker

Eating out in the O'Connell street area????

Post by Rocker »

Is there anywhere in the O'Connell street area of Dublin where one can get a decent meal without spending the earth? My wife and I have tried most of the restaurants, hotels and diners in the O'Connell street, Talbot street and one in the Parnell Square areas and most have served what at best could be described as a poor meal. Last evening in a hotel in the Parnell Square area I ordered a mixed grill with chips thinking [wrongly as it turned out] that it was close to impossible to get wrong. It was shockingly bad, tasteless stodgy food and chips that were worse than any junk food emporium sells. I don't want to name or shame the places involved but there must be somewhere in that area that employs people who can cook and serve up decent good food.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
jaybee

Re: Eating out in the O'Connell street area????

Post by jaybee »

very good value and excellent food ( I eat lunch there two or three times a week) Le Bon Crubeen

on talbot st near Gardiner....

Much more upmarket, in quality and price, but still good value (not cheap now..!) is Chapter One next door to the gallery on Parnell Square

That's it in my experience....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

The Paris Bakery on Moore Street is a little gem. Great for coffee and cake but they also do more 'interesting' food.

there's a small cafe in Abbey Street, across from The Abbey Theatre called "La Phare" (I think) and they do decent rolls and sarnies.
I used to often have breakfast in "Brazilian" (a long narrow strip of a cafe) in the Irish Life Centre - nothing fancy but clean.

oh and would second la Bon Crubeen but it's years since I worked in the area. If you don't like the look of the Brazilian walk out onto Talbot and turn left for Bon Crubeen.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
seanos

Post by seanos »

The Black Sheep on the corner of Parnell Street/Capel street;
Nice selection of Irish food (Lunch, 12-4, Dinner 4-9) and tasty craft beer.

Other end of Parnell street there is Mitsuba, Japanese food place and Kimchi which does mostly Korean food (same building as the Hop House pub).

Madina, nice Indian food place on Mary Street.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

the black sheep's sister restaurant is brew dock opposite busaras...
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....