December. Mahler: Symphony No. 7

Ciaran

December. Mahler: Symphony No. 7

Post by Ciaran »

First an apology for not starting this until now. I'm insanely busy at work and bringing work home in the evenings and at the weekend means I just don't have a lot of time available. That should improve after next weekend, however.

When I was fifteen or sixteen, I had been a member of the Dublin Music Library, which at that time was in Kevin Street, for a year or two. You were supposed to be over 18, but nobody said anything. I had a half-day from school on Wednesday (which was meant to be for playing rugby, eeurrgh!) and after lunch I would get the 15A bus into town and change my records at the library. The bus stop was in Harcourt Street, so I would sometimes go in to Kennedy's to look at beautiful art materials I couldn't usually afford.

A friend of my father's from Scotland visited and was interested that I was listening to classical music. He suggested that I should listen to Mahler and Elgar, who were unfamiliar to me. I suspect I'd never heard of Mahler. The next time I was in the Music Library I had a look to see what they had. There seemed to be several sets of something called the "Symphony of 1000" and a few other symphonies, all in boxed sets, so I'd have to use both of my tickets to borrow one. I somehow settled on the seventh

with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Georg Solti. I borrowed the miniature score as well for good measure.

I remember at that time that some unfamiliar works would just make no impression on me at all. It would take repeated listening before I could get into them. Not here. From the first I was absolutely bowled over by the work. I'd never heard anything like and I absolutely loved it!
Seán

Re: December. Mahler: Symphony No. 7

Post by Seán »

That is a lovely start to the thread Ciaran. I, too, remember Kennedy's in Harcourt Street. I used to visit them every week and I eventually saved up enough money to buy their two books on animation (and fat lot of good they did me), but I digress, you have started the thread with my favourite recording of Mahler's Seventh. I will revisit my collection of Mahler Sevens over the next few weeks, it doesn't require much effort to be honest.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:

That looks like exactly what I started out with LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

The Seventh is easily Mahler´s most difficult and less popular work. I struggled with it for years.
This is my favourite recording:

james

Post by james »

I am quite interested in this month's selection since I have never really managed to become a fan of Mahler. The only synphony I really know is No.1 [which unfortunatly is quite untypical].

I started listenning to Mahler because I read that Shostakovich was like Mahler and I assumed vice versa. Mahler No. 1 is like Mahler but that's about it. .

So roll on symphony 7.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

james wrote:I am quite interested in this month's selection since I have never really managed to become a fan of Mahler. The only synphony I really know is No.1 [which unfortunatly is quite untypical].

I started listenning to Mahler because I read that Shostakovich was like Mahler and I assumed vice versa. Mahler No. 1 is like Mahler but that's about it. .

So roll on symphony 7.

James

I wouldn´t recommend the 7th to a newbie, you should rather try the 2nd and the 5th. The Fifth was the first for me, and it worked!
james

Post by james »

Mahler No. 1 is like Mahler but that's about it.
I meant Mahler No. 1 is like Shostakovich .. sorry for the typo.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

james wrote:
Mahler No. 1 is like Mahler but that's about it.
I meant Mahler No. 1 is like Shostakovich .. sorry for the typo.
Shostakovich's Symphony No 5 is probably the closest Shostakovich gets to Mahler, others may take a different view?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:The Seventh is easily Mahler´s most difficult and less popular work. I struggled with it for years.

I love the Abbado/CSO performance of the Seventh; I do not have that recording, I must get it.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:The Seventh is easily Mahler´s most difficult and less popular work. I struggled with it for years.

I love the Abbado/CSO performance of the Seventh; I do not have that recording, I must get it.
Ditto both sentiments!