What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

Jared wrote:Victoria: Ave Maria...

gosh, you can always tell a bit of Victoria when it comes on... in terms of the harmonic textures, it just seems to stand above everything else on the disk..... I'm sorry, but Victoria was an absolute genius...
In Spain he is considered a mystic, the musical equivalent of the poetry of San Juan de la Cruz.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ as you know Pepe, I'm certainly no expert... but I enjoy most music I hear from the Renaissance period, but there are a small handful of composers, whose music tends for me, to rise above the crowd, and Victoria's compositions are pretty well near the pinnacle of achievement.

the three disks I have heard so far have in turth been very much a mixed bag, ranging from the sublime to the pretty uninspired. I am now listening top some thing very different... a few years ago, BBC Music thought outside the box and, in conjunction with Harmonia Mundi, produced an album entitled 'Food Wine & Music': Seasonal songs on feasting & merriment. Performed by Orlando and Clemencic Consorts and Ensemble Clement Janequin, this disk contains music of an altogether secular nature from the medieval period, with strains of various European folk traditions... it's a fascinating listen, and superbly performed (although I hasten to add, it takes some getting used to, and wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea!).

the music is often Anonymous, with some pieces by Clemens non Papa, Gombert, Dufay and Compere among the better known names. The music performed by the Orlando Consort for my disk happens to be available on this disk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Wine-Song- ... 330&sr=1-1

sadly out of print, but available on download for the curious, with some interesting reviews...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Starting my listening today with Chorales for Advent[BWV 599-602] from Bach's Orgelbuchlein played by two different organists....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Pepe, I think that I will forever associate you with Graupner!
fergus

Post by fergus »

More music for Advent, this time from Charpentier....

I really like the sound world of Charpentier's music which is beautifully performed here by Les Arts Florissants under William Christie.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:Starting my listening today with Chorales for Advent[BWV 599-602] from Bach's Orgelbuchlein played by two different organists....
I might join you in this endeavour if I get a moment today.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Jared wrote:
jaybee wrote:Image

a version of these works I've not listened too in a long while, the recording itself is quite different... it appears to have been miked quite distantly but at a point where the first reflections of reverb in what appears to be a large hall occur....
I've heard this one is critically highly regarded, but only have the Grumiaux set at present... maybe in the future?
Grumiaux is probably the last of these ill buy... which will make for 6!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jared

Post by Jared »

jaybee wrote:Grumiaux is probably the last of these ill buy... which will make for 6!
if you could see your way to stretching to £12 JB, these are like salt and pepper pots:

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Pepe, I think that I will forever associate you with Graupner!
You know I´m a fan Fergus, and my admiration hasn´t diminished a bit since I bought these recordings.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

And I´m also a big fan of La Cappella de´Turchini, or I Turchini as they call themselves these days.
Both Christmas recordings with music by the great Cristofaro Caresana are gems.