Post by Jared »

Dvorak:
The Wood Dove
The Noonday Witch
BBC Scottish/ Ilan Volkov
jaybee

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by jaybee »

I know it doesn't get the best reviews ever, but I had to replace this disc after it went walkabout, and I do see where people are coming from in parts, but, , certainly in my book, this reading is the superlative, if for nothing else than the Rex Tremendae.... It blew me away all over again

I can barely listen to the Harnoncourt Rex..... way too clipped

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jared

Post by Jared »

Dane wrote:Image

Hope it's ok to give a bit of a report on this in case anyone is interested in
Previn's recording of this work. He made two, the first on RCA back in
1966 and later for Telarc. The Telarc is more laid back and hasn't quite the
bite of the RCA. The LP achieved fame as a hi-fi demo in its day so I'm told.

RCA reissued the work on CD in the 1980s. Great. Except that the sound
is a bit brittle. It sounds ok through speakers but good hedphones show
up the distortion.

In the 90s the original was remastered in 24/96. Somehow, I wouldn't
even care to speculate how, that sonic edginess has gone. It can't be
"more accurate" because it's still in 16bit on the CD to conform to standards.
Far more detail shows through. I was sceptical at first but no, it is better.
Perhaps the act of remastering tightened the transients or something.

The disc also contains a good recording of the Viola Concerto with
Yuri Mashmet. I hadn't heard him until now. Intonation is excellent and his
forward presence in the recording is as it should be, his right hand side
facing the microphone.

So, should anyone be interested in RCA's recording, watch out for this one.
There's a chance it could appear in the UK eventually. It's available
from a marketplace seller for c £14 but hopefully it will turn up cheaper.

Bests, all. :)
Thank you for your thoughts on this one Dane, an excellent post.

Yes, the Previn/ Walton No.1 recordings are very highly thought of, although I don't own one myself. The coupling with the Viola Concerto is a tempting one, because I personally think that's the finest of the three concertos he wrote.

If anyone is interested in really good interpretation, then BBC Music issued the live recording from the Royal Festival Hall by Adrian Boult (1975) on one of their free disks a couple of years ago. Please see link for reference, although someone's already bidding on this one. It's a typically robust and moving recording.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBC-Music-Wal ... 25782707ed
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

One-to-a-part, just 14 musicians, and it sounds WONDERFUL!
I have always enjoyed my Pinnock recording of these works; he's not always to everyone's tastes, but I think his Haydn symphonies are top notch, and this recording can now be purchased for a very modest sum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Symphonie ... 028&sr=1-3

That said, a 6,7,8 stripped to the bones by Kuijken sounds like an interesting prospect. Is it a new recording, Pepe?
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote:If I were still an organist, it would be wall-to-wall 'Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland' this morning. There are just so many wonderful settings of that chorale.
to wit...

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Today is the first Sunday of Advent. This means two things; firstly, Christmas is on the way and secondly that it is the beginning of the Liturgical year. The latter means only one thing for me personally namely Bach cantatas! Now these works can obviously be played at any time but for me I like to play each one on the appropriate day for which it was written. They have a special place in my musical work and I think are a great way for those wanting to explore the “imposing and difficult” world of JS Bach. These relatively short works (mostly) are neither imposing nor difficult but relatively simple works that are very pleasing and accessible.
This morning I am listening to one of the appropriate cantatas written for this day, BWV 62. It is a beautiful work full of joy and anticipation. Here it is sung by, for me personally, some of the strongest forces recording the Bach cantatas in modern times....

Great post, Fergus; I really love your enthusiasm for the Bach cantatas. I may squeeze in the Christmas Oratorio around the time, but there is SO much wonderful Christmas music out there, that starting next week, I shall be exploring Christmas Music and carols from throughout the centuries, courtesy of the hitherto unlistened to disks I have, lining my shelf. Every year, BBC Music issue a Xmas disk with their edition of the Magazine, and each year, I put them to one side thinking 'one day'. Well, that day is fast approaching. I don't feel entirely Xmassy yet (we go out for the Resident's Xmas meal on Friday PM, which will get me in the mood), then for the rest of the month, it will be nothing but Xmas tunes... I'll keep you posted!
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: I love it. I have the Herreweghe/Collegium Vocale Gent recording, it makes one feel good to be alive.
Sean, it really is a delight to see you becoming enthused by Bach's choral works, as I have over the past couple of years. Fergus' deep passion for them is rubbing off on us all.
Jared

Post by Jared »

jaybee wrote:I know it doesn't get the best reviews ever, but I had to replace this disc after it went walkabout, and I do see where people are coming from in parts, but, , certainly in my book, this reading is the superlative, if for nothing else than the Rex Tremendae.... It blew me away all over again

I can barely listen to the Harnoncourt Rex..... way too clipped

Karajan's Mozart Requiem has long been critically acclaimed JB, and it will continue to be so. This is a subject and debate we have talked about a lot over the past few years, so I will say no more, but I think we are mostly in agreeance that having at least one of the finest examples of HIP and traditional performance of large scale choral works is a good thing, for a rounded appreciation of the piece.

and for what it's worth JB, I am interested in your comment about Harnoncourt, because that is how I also often feel about him, and consequently don't own too many of his recordings.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote: He is now watching episode 509 of Dr Who LOL!!! I think that Darren is just taking a break for a while and I too hope that all is well with him.

You miss him being around though!
On the night I returned to the forum (and therefore when I caught up on posts such as this) I had just finished watching an episode of Doctor Who. It was called Destiny of the Daleks - Episode 4. In transmission order it is recognised as episode number 509.

True story.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Diapason wrote: If I were still an organist, it would be wall-to-wall 'Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland' this morning. There are just so many wonderful settings of that chorale.
What, pray tell, has brought about this misfortune?

I would say that a small child would have a lot to do with that LOL!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra