Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Inspired by mcq's eulogy of this album I had a listen and was equally inspired to type (note: not pasted!) out an excerpt of another eulogy by one Rob Hughes.There's amazing little snippets of info. that I didn't know about; Go read.....

By the early Seventies,New York was a decaying metropolis,teetering on the verge of bankruptcy (sound familiar?),left basically to rot by Capitol Hill indifference.The music industry had chosen to look the other way,too,its increasing corporate voracity fed by a stream of anodyne West Coast troubadours.Fittingly enough,it was the-lipstick-in-the-gutter-sleaze-glam of The New York Dolls that re-focused the industry's attention towards the Big Apple.

In 1973,inspired by a Doll's concert at the Mercer Arts Center, Tom Miller (soon to become Verlaine) and Richard Meyers (soon to be Hell) formed their own band, The Neon Boys,hooking up with Verlaine's old Delaware buddy,drummer Billy Ficca.

Using a loft owned by Terry Ork,who ran the movie-stills store where Verlaine and Hell both worked, the trio auditioned Dee Dee Ramone and Chris Stein,who would soon form after form Blondie with Debbie Harry,before recruiting Richard Lloyd as a second huitarist.Hell, whose musical ability was negligible, rechristened the band Television and helped secure a Sunday night residency at Hilly Kristal's Bowery dive CBGB's in March 1974.

By all accounts ragged,self-destructive and infectious in equal doses,their sweaty,experimental hybrid of Stones-elevators-Yardbirds turbulence also led to a joint tenure at Max's Kansas City,alongside the fast emerging Patti Smith.

Initially attracting the attention of Island Records,their six song demos for the label (co-produced by Brian Eno) were to prove crucial in the band's trajectory. Unhappy with with the tentative,colourless results,Verlaine vowed to oversee all future recordings and ditched the increasingly wayward Hell for Blondie bassist Fred Smith.

In August 1975,they released the astonishing "Little Johnny Jewel" - a slab of vinyl so lo-fi that according to Julian Cope it "made The New York Dolls sound like Yes"- on Terry Ork's own label.When the big boys came calling,they chose Electra for their debut album.

Impressed by the guitar sound captured on the Stone's Goat's Head Soup, Verlaine brought in Andy Johns to co-produce.Johns' first impression was they that they couldn't play or sing.Verlaine,doggedly determined to pursue small,spartan sounds over showy flamboyance,and the minimum of sonic flavouring.

From the opening, Stonesy riff and divebombing lead of "See NO Evil" through the bluesy squall of "Torn Curtain", the almost unbearable,synergistic tension never flags. "Venus" is a knotty,bruising tumble of needles-to -red Valhalla, Verlaine's elusive Beat-hipster subversion to the fore.

"Friction" has Verlaine's lead pirouetting around the corners of Lloyd's gnarly rhythm;"Elevation" eases back on the throttle,but laps in a dramitically perverse pre-chorus chord change,while "Prove It" surprises with almost bouncy,quasy-calypso guitar glide before soaring to altitudes new.

Of course, the 10-minute title track is the true river of fire: Smith's two-note bass pulse grounding Ficca's jazz-patinated skins and the cloudburst duelling of Lloyd and Verlaine, whose guitars skid and crash into each other's airspace,coming at moments to within a whisker of annihilation.It's easy to wax lyrical and scribble icy directions for where to find the descending cyclic sevenths that give it that otherworldly feel, but it's imposible to overestimate the jaw-dropping, dark magic of this song.

Television may have vowed to "pull down the future", but no one knew they'd reinvent it.Proof that lightening can,indeed,strike itself.Maybe just the once though....(Rob Hughes)
mcq

Post by mcq »

Great read, cybot, and I applaud your dilligent typing out of this article. Most people would cut and paste. I would simply hyperlink, but not you.

Great mention of Little Johnny Jewel - a slab of vinyl so lo-fi that according to Julian Cope "it made the New York Dolls sound like Yes". (First time I heard Little Johnny Jewel was on the outstanding double live album, The Blow Up, which is probably the only other Television album that comes close to the majesty of Marquee Moon - good as Adventure is.)

It's worth mentioning as well that - despite the instrumental virtuousity - what ties it into the NY punk/new wave scene is the rhythm section which goes all the way back to the Velvets via garage rockers like the 13th Floor Elevators (they never lose sight of that three-chord groove). Detach the guitar playing from the rhythm section and link it to, say, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer, and it would fit right into the UK prog scene. But it is the steadfastness of the rhythm section - and especially the fantastic drumming of Billy Ficca that brings the guitarists back to earth. Another great thing about the guitar playing is that they realise the sheer primal power of the chordal groove. You get the same with King Crimson's Red but many bands would be tempted to add ornate embellishments. Think back to the Velvets. In their classic line-up, you had Cale and Reed but behind it all you had Mo Tucker's metronomic beats. There was the LaMonte Young drone feeding into Cale's viola playing at the same time as you had Reed's love of classic rock and roll and doo-wop. As unsettling as Venus in Furs still sounds, at its heart the song structure is very conventional - I have had dreams of The Byrds drenching this in harmonies and twelve-string guitars and making it a No.1 hit - but the static and repetitious musical structure make it disturbing. Next to no chordal development from Reed, a simple droning riff from Cale and Tucker's insistent percussion. Add Reed's lyric and you have a masterpiece.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote:[quote="mcq]
So many great songs and my personal favourites change every time I listen to it, but Saturday Son seems to stick in my mind. The piano has a lovely hymnal devotional quality and the vibes complement this beautifully. It reminds me of a gospel song.

It still sounds to me like one of the great debut albums - it all sounds so accomplished in terms of the songwriting, the musical arrangements (the flute and cello on The Thoughts of Mary Jane, the congas on Cello Song and the vibes on Saturday Sun come to mind) but, perhaps, most of all, the phrasing of his words as he sings them which is something you get with the great ones - Dylan, Cohen and Hammill to name three examples. It's in their vocal phrasing that they make their songs their own and their versions the definitive ones. And, of those three, only Cohen was as assured as Drake in his phrasing on his debut album. There is an uncanny confidence and unaffectedness in the way he sings his songs that reminds me of someone older and wiser.

By the way, have you heard any of Tim Buckley's work?
I have to agree with you about Saturday Sun mc -I find it absolutely heartbreaking;to me it sounds like an omen of things to come for Nick.Vibes indeed.....bad ones!

As for Tim Buckley, what can I possibly say. I only have about 4 or 5 of his albums but his towering achievment,in my collection anyway, has to be the Live in London 1968 set (Dream Letter). Unbelievable!

Edit: While searching for suitable Nick Drake sites for Fergus, I accidentally found out that Robert Kirby had died last October!!
God,I didn't know that :-(( May he Rest In Peace... BTW mcq have you heard Robert Kirby's reel to reel tape recording
of Nick's solo rendition of 'River Man'? When he heard it he decided not to put music to it because he felt he couldn't
do it justice.Ironically that job was left to the much maligned arranger Harry Robinson, who did a sterling job...[/quote][/quote]

I wasn't aware of that reel-to-reel tape recording of River Man. I've just heard the officially released version. I must look out for this version.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:
cybot wrote:[quote="mcq]

I wasn't aware of that reel-to-reel tape recording of River Man. I've just heard the officially released version. I must look out for this version.
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

It's on 'Made To Love Magic' and as you said earlier about the Velvets,the rhythm is relentless,thrillingly so :-))

A customer:
As any fan of Nick Drake will tell you, the word 'average' was not in his vocabulary. This isn't strictly true - he may have been flawless 99.9% of the time but let's face it, we could all live without "Man in a Shed" and "Mayfair" - but whereas most 'rarities' compilations are usually cobbled together moments of over indulgence that were previously unreleased for a very good reason (ie. Syd Barrett's "Opal"), there was little doubt among the Drake hardcore that this was going to be an absolutely essential collection and fortunately for us all, it is.
The one never-before-heard song "Tow the Line" is the main attraction here but after a few listens, it's some of the unreleased performances of songs that we know and love that excite me the most. The live version of "Three Hours" with it's 'free jam' feel and superb flute part, the early solo version of "River Man" and the alternate takes from the final session are the real highlights here, all of them totally amazing.

My only concern is the tracks that have been revisited. I personally feel that you should only return to 30+ year old master tapes for the purpose of remastering and I'm generally against giving such classic material as this the 'Pro Tools treatment'. That said, at least it's been handled by Robert Kirby and John Wood (Nick's arranger and engineer respectively) who have done a sympathetic/faithful job that doesn't scream cash-in but personally, I prefer the original versions.

So, a job well done by Island but one that won't appease the serious fans for long - this needs to be followed up by the long overdue remastered box set that will hopefully contain the first official release of the Tanworth-in-Arden/Time Has Told Me bootleg material. Until then though, this will do nicely.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Great read, cybot, and I applaud your dilligent typing out of this article. Most people would cut and paste. I would simply hyperlink, but not you.

Great mention of Little Johnny Jewel - a slab of vinyl so lo-fi that according to Julian Cope "it made the New York Dolls sound like Yes". (First time I heard Little Johnny Jewel was on the outstanding double live album, The Blow Up, which is probably the only other Television album that comes close to the majesty of Marquee Moon - good as Adventure is.)

It's worth mentioning as well that - despite the instrumental virtuousity - what ties it into the NY punk/new wave scene is the rhythm section which goes all the way back to the Velvets via garage rockers like the 13th Floor Elevators (they never lose sight of that three-chord groove). Detach the guitar playing from the rhythm section and link it to, say, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer, and it would fit right into the UK prog scene. But it is the steadfastness of the rhythm section - and especially the fantastic drumming of Billy Ficca that brings the guitarists back to earth. Another great thing about the guitar playing is that they realise the sheer primal power of the chordal groove. You get the same with King Crimson's Red but many bands would be tempted to add ornate embellishments. Think back to the Velvets. In their classic line-up, you had Cale and Reed but behind it all you had Mo Tucker's metronomic beats. There was the LaMonte Young drone feeding into Cale's viola playing at the same time as you had Reed's love of classic rock and roll and doo-wop. As unsettling as Venus in Furs still sounds, at its heart the song structure is very conventional - I have had dreams of The Byrds drenching this in harmonies and twelve-string guitars and making it a No.1 hit - but the static and repetitious musical structure make it disturbing. Next to no chordal development from Reed, a simple droning riff from Cale and Tucker's insistent percussion. Add Reed's lyric and you have a masterpiece.
Thanks mcq I just do it for the sheer love of this mysterious thing called music! Though people like yourself and some of the lads here on the forum are a constant inspiration and surprise too :-) BTW I would have hyperlinked the Television article but I couldn't find a mention anywhere of the Rob Hughe piece but that litttle blip didn't stop me! In fact I actually enjoyed typing it out - as if, somehow, I had a minor input, if you like...

Also I take your points about the steadfastness of the rhythm section and the all important drone/feedback/noise that take the sometimes simple songs to places undreamed of.......but you have to have the special ability to listen and be in the center of the work to recognise and appreciate what is happening.That might sound elitist and I apologise if some people take offence; it definitely isn't intended....

Finally I used to have The Blow Up but I stupidly swapped it along time ago. I must search it out again....
mcq

Post by mcq »

Resuming the topic of great debut albums, I've just had an early evening blast of Patti Smith's immortal Horses. Great, immense, primal rock and roll in a perfect marriage with some inspired lyrics. Everybody talks about the fantastic re-imagining of Gloria ("Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" is a wonderful statement of intent and one of the best lead tracks to any album) and the staggering achievement that is Land (the whispered solo vocal which latches on to the guitar chug - "Johnny fell on his knees, started crashing his head against the locker, started laughing hysterically" - is just glorious and the vocal riff on "the sea of possibilities" reminds me of the Blue Oyster Cult), but what about classics like Birdland, Break It Up, Free Money, Kimberly ("And I feel just like some misplaced Joan of Arc and the cause is you looking up at me") and Elegie (great guitar from Allen Lanier). Infinite in its riches, what a mighty album. And one of the great album covers as well. Looking forward to reading Just Kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oV_COYyHKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSX1IyeKMYc
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

mcq wrote:Tim Buckley was very special. Some people know him mainly as Jeff's Dad, but he was so much more than that. Perhaps the greatest technical singer in popular music, he could break your heart in so many ways. Writing about him just seems pointless - I'm reminded of Peter Hammill's wonderful song, Losing in Faith in Words, where he confronts the ultimate inadequacy of words to communicate what we really feel about things. Buckley had this gift of speaking directly to your heart. Cybot mentions Dream Letter. This is a fantastic complete concert recorded in London in 1968. Something of the vibe of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks exists in this otherworldly performance, but that's only part of it. It's one of the great live albums and never fails to leave me emotionally drained and speechless. Wonderful. After this you should look at his extraordinary experimental albums, Lorca and Starsailor, where he takes his voice farther than it should naturally go. And then there is Song to the Siren which might be one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever written. Oh, and there's Greetings From L.A., his last great album, where the melancholy is replaced by a wonderful soulful groove. But start with Dream Letter and, just like Nick Drake, drink deep, savour every drop and take it slow. This music will last you a lifetime.
Great stuff mcq. Thanks for that and all the youtube links.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:
mcq wrote:Tim Buckley was very special. Some people know him mainly as Jeff's Dad, but he was so much more than that. Perhaps the greatest technical singer in popular music, he could break your heart in so many ways. Writing about him just seems pointless - I'm reminded of Peter Hammill's wonderful song, Losing in Faith in Words, where he confronts the ultimate inadequacy of words to communicate what we really feel about things. Buckley had this gift of speaking directly to your heart. Cybot mentions Dream Letter. This is a fantastic complete concert recorded in London in 1968. Something of the vibe of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks exists in this otherworldly performance, but that's only part of it. It's one of the great live albums and never fails to leave me emotionally drained and speechless. Wonderful. After this you should look at his extraordinary experimental albums, Lorca and Starsailor, where he takes his voice farther than it should naturally go. And then there is Song to the Siren which might be one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever written. Oh, and there's Greetings From L.A., his last great album, where the melancholy is replaced by a wonderful soulful groove. But start with Dream Letter and, just like Nick Drake, drink deep, savour every drop and take it slow. This music will last you a lifetime.
Great stuff mcq. Thanks for that and all the youtube links.
My pleasure, Dave. Enjoy the music.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Resuming the topic of great debut albums, I've just had an early evening blast of Patti Smith's immortal Horses. Great, immense, primal rock and roll in a perfect marriage with some inspired lyrics. Everybody talks about the fantastic re-imagining of Gloria ("Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" is a wonderful statement of intent and one of the best lead tracks to any album) and the staggering achievement that is Land (the whispered solo vocal which latches on to the guitar chug - "Johnny fell on his knees, started crashing his head against the locker, started laughing hysterically" - is just glorious and the vocal riff on "the sea of possibilities" reminds me of the Blue Oyster Cult), but what about classics like Birdland, Break It Up, Free Money, Kimberly ("And I feel just like some misplaced Joan of Arc and the cause is you looking up at me") and Elegie (great guitar from Allen Lanier). Infinite in its riches, what a mighty album. And one of the great album covers as well. Looking forward to reading Just Kids.

I just knew you were heading for Patti next :-)) Everytime I open the wardrobe in the middle bedroom Patti stands proud looking at me with that slightly sad/defiant look;what a fantastic shot by Robert Mapplethorpe! (the subject of a tribute/rememberance album a while ago). It's the only Patti I own and, really, it's all I'll ever need :-))
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:
mcq wrote:Resuming the topic of great debut albums, I've just had an early evening blast of Patti Smith's immortal Horses. Great, immense, primal rock and roll in a perfect marriage with some inspired lyrics. Everybody talks about the fantastic re-imagining of Gloria ("Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" is a wonderful statement of intent and one of the best lead tracks to any album) and the staggering achievement that is Land (the whispered solo vocal which latches on to the guitar chug - "Johnny fell on his knees, started crashing his head against the locker, started laughing hysterically" - is just glorious and the vocal riff on "the sea of possibilities" reminds me of the Blue Oyster Cult), but what about classics like Birdland, Break It Up, Free Money, Kimberly ("And I feel just like some misplaced Joan of Arc and the cause is you looking up at me") and Elegie (great guitar from Allen Lanier). Infinite in its riches, what a mighty album. And one of the great album covers as well. Looking forward to reading Just Kids.

I just knew you were heading for Patti next :-)) Everytime I open the wardrobe in the middle bedroom Patti stands proud looking at me with that slightly sad/defiant look;what a fantastic shot by Robert Mapplethorpe! (the subject of a tribute/rememberance album a while ago). It's the only Patti I own and, really, it's all I'll ever need :-))
That' a very disturbing image!