What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

Checked pictures above: yes, you're right!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Lunchtime listening....Harvey - Concerto Antico....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

Ciaran wrote:How about that: SNAP! Two of your choices are in the post on their way to me at the moment! Both were very enthusiastically reviewed in the most recent International Record Review. I'd been looking for more Schütz after enjoying Herreweghe in the Musikalische Exequien
mcq wrote:I began today with three recordings of music by Heinrich Schutz and his Ars Nova Copenhagen ensemble on Da Capo: Die sieben Worte Jesu Christi am Kreutz & Johannes-Passion, Weihnachts-Historie & Auferstehungshistorie and St Luke Passion. Exceptional performances and a new benchmark for the delightful Weihnachts-Historie. The two Passion settings are new to me and are intensely and dramatically performed.
mcq wrote:and then the wonderfully idiosyncratic Patricia Petibon's new album of Italian baroque arias, Rosso (DG), with Andrea Marcon and the Venice Baroque Orchestra.

and I just don't understand why I haven't any CDs of this charming redhead already! Well, not solo ones anyway.
You're in for a treat with the Schutz recordings, Ciaran. Previously, my favourite Paul Hillier recording was his outstanding version of the Rachmaninov Vespers with the Estonian Philharmonic Choir on Harmonia Mundi, but I believe that he has surpassed himself here. Listen out for the tenor Johan Linderoth and the bass Jakob Bloch Jespersen in the St. Luke Passion in particular. I can't wait for his version of Schutz's St. Matthew Passion which he is currently recording. My prior experience with Schutz extends to Opus Ultimum (Herreweghe's fantastic recording on HM), Symphoniae Sacrae III (the ever-reliable Konrad Junghanel on HM), Musikalische Exequien (Herreweghe on HM, Harry Christophers on Coro and the exceptional Benoit Haller on K617 who also offers the very significant coupling of the Auferstehungshistorie), and the Weihnachts-Historie in a delightful version by Rene Jacobs on HM. As much as I treasure Haller's version of Musikalische Exequien, I believe that Hillier's version is the new benchmark recording.

If you enjoy Ms. Petibon's Rosso, Ciaran, look out for her French Baroque Arias CD (on Virgin), and also her contributions to William Christie's fabulous version of Couperin's Lecons De Tenebres (Erato). She seems to divide opinion: some find her eccentricities mannered and offputting, whereas others find them endearing. Personally, I love what she does and count her as one of the very best singers out there right now (along with Christine Schafer who also seems to divide opinion, but for different reasons).
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
That one is on my Wish List Dave.
What did you think of it?
Would you recommend it?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Missa Solemnis [Gardiner]....

This is another powerful rendition of the Missa Solmenis and it has the advantage over the Klemperer version in that the four soloists are superior (to my ear).
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
That one is on my Wish List Dave.
What did you think of it?
Would you recommend it?
I'd definitely recommend it Fergus. Imho, it's one of those must have Vivaldi recordings.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Beethoven – Missa Solemnis [Gardiner]....

This is another powerful rendition of the Missa Solmenis and it has the advantage over the Klemperer version in that the four soloists are superior (to my ear).
You're certainly a big fan of Gardiner's work Fergus.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: I'd definitely recommend it Fergus. Imho, it's one of those must have Vivaldi recordings.
Thanks Dave....I will get it eventually!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Beethoven – Missa Solemnis [Gardiner]....

You're certainly a big fan of Gardiner's work Fergus.
I am Dave and have been for a long time.
Another benefit of the Gardiner version over the Klemperer version for me is that the musical textures, even with a relatively large orchestra, are much clearer (to me). The ORR plays very well, as usual, and the Monteverdi Choir certainly give it their all.
However, this is not to say that the Gardiner version is “better” than the Klemper one; only that it is different. Both are superb versions!