Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

tony wrote:
Sean wrote:Tony, Stan Getz was great, I was fortunate enough to see him when he played in Dublin, you would be hard pressed to find a poor recording by him. What a beautiful warm tone he had, his sound was unique and he had many imitators too.
Lucky you Sean I assume he is dead now! Agree fully beautiful warm tone describes exactly the sound. Really sublime. First album I got was the one with girl from ipanema and to me was fairly bland(very good but the album designed to sell a truck load) but this one really shows what he was about I am assuming without doing research that this was earlier in the career.
Yes, Getz is dead. The Brazilian bossa nova stuff with Carlos Jobim was awful, bland is a good description, it was very popular.
Tony, if you are in the market for recordings by Stan Getz well then these are worth considering:

Sweet Rain

Captain Marvel

Live at Montmarte

Focus, this is with a string orchestra. Sauter wrote the arrangement for Getz and strings. They recorded it, neither Sauter nor Getz were happy wit the result, so they recorded it a second time with Getz improvising over Sauter's arrangement and that's what was commited to disc, it works really well.

The Peacocks
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks a lot Sean I will certainly search out those cd's thanks for the suggestions. I had already decided to to for the montmartre as I really like live recordings but will keep an eye out for the others also.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Seán

Post by Seán »

tony wrote:Thanks a lot Sean I will certainly search out those cd's thanks for the suggestions. I had already decided to to for the montmartre as I really like live recordings but will keep an eye out for the others also.
Great choice, he has a lovely trio supporting him: pianist Joanne Brackeen, bassist Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, and drummer Billy Hart.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

the first recording to convince me that remasters are Janus faced demons...

this one is superb, others I've had were dynamically compressed, artificially silent and deaf to sense of venue....

it's also a hook for the looming move to vinyl....

Last edited by jaybee on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yes, that is definitely the version to get, if only to hear how Flamenco Sketches developed between Take 1 and Take 2.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

my favourite female jazz singer...

and a CD set of Mingus

now I already have some of these on vinyl so I took the chance to do a direct comparison. (My system is sounding pretty nice recently - perhaps more anon)

I compared side 2 of "Blues & Roots" and could easily switch between CD and vinyl. While the CD had a slight advantage in detail the vinyl was far more musical and the performance more intimate and tangible. On this recording anyway... vinyl wins.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

Just downloaded from Qobuz this morning.
Listened to it over lunch and very impressed with arrangements of well known Piazzolla numbers.
Sound quality is excellent and instrumentation is very imaginative - very modern big band, fine playing.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I don't think I like this album.

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Double vinyl.
Beautiful interpretations.
Beautiful sonics.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Derek

Post by Derek »

I was watching that young lady in 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' on DVD last night. (A great DVD BTW, The Story of the Funk Brothers)

She can really sing!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.