What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:This box set has appeared once or twice recently here so I was prompted to dig it out and I have played it through again recently....

No matter how often one listens to it it is still a fantastic listen; Beethoven with balls if you pardon the French!
Fergus, I always thought this was a particularly fine cycle...

meanwhile, I'm enjoying another traversal through this box set..

fergus

Post by fergus »

We have somewhat subdued music on this CD but it is quite attractive and pleasant and very suitable for late night listening or simply chilling out to....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

EMI was the chosen label by Martha Argerich to release her Lugano concerts for over a decade now, but probably because of EMI´s hypothetical sale this year, DG took over for this 4 cd release of mostly concertos with orchestra. As you can see it is packaged in a beautiful book with the cds inside, inconvenient of course, but the book is pretty.
I´m such a big Argerich fan that it would be repetitive and needless to shower her again with praise.
The performances are miraculous of course, but it is indeed sad that she has recorded most of these concertos before, this is her sixth commercial recording of the Schumann for example, and though each performance is unique, it is a great pity to think that she might never record Beethoven´s 4th and 5th, or the Brahms piano concertos.
But one should never complain about the greatness of a goddess, and Argerich is definitely one.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:....... one should never complain about the greatness of a goddess, and Argerich is definitely one.
Oh, I like that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:This box set has appeared once or twice recently here so I was prompted to dig it out and I have played it through again recently....

No matter how often one listens to it it is still a fantastic listen; Beethoven with balls if you pardon the French!
It is magnificent. Fergus, I expect you meant to say, Beethoven avec des boules
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: It is magnificent. Fergus, I expect you meant to say, Beethoven avec des boules

You are quite correct Seán; your terminology is far more refined than mine but does not reflect as accurately the sentiments that I meant to portray regarding the efficacy of this set LOL!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vinyl....

fergus