Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Cheers Jared. Both you and Pepe can fly that particular flag together and educate me in the process!

I think Pepe does all the educating around here, especially when it comes to Opera... I just make a few grunting noises in the background...
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

this purchase is now about 6 weeks old, but sits patiently on my shelf for consideration in the very near future:

my knowledge of Brahms' solo piano works has been limited to Sonata No 3 and the Fantasias, so I will be looking forward to hearing them, and Katchen is (in my view) a very gifted interpreter in this repertoire.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:this purchase is now about 6 weeks old, but sits patiently on my shelf for consideration in the very near future:

my knowledge of Brahms' solo piano works has been limited to Sonata No 3 and the Fantasias, so I will be looking forward to hearing them, and Katchen is (in my view) a very gifted interpreter in this repertoire.
Artur Rubinstein's Brahms piano cycle is high on my wish list too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Cheers Jared. Both you and Pepe can fly that particular flag together and educate me in the process!

I think Pepe does all the educating around here, especially when it comes to Opera... I just make a few grunting noises in the background...
That´s because I started at age 12 :-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image
because I man simply can't ever have enough RS tone poems in his collection... ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
because I man simply can't ever have enough RS tone poems in his collection... ;-)

Quite correct Jared....especially his own works conducted by himself!
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

purely on a whim....

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

and hot on whims heels...

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

I think that Jared has at least one of those and I think that one cannot go wrong with the playing of du Pré. I also think that Barenboim was a very talented pianist but both he and du Pré had and still have many detractors. I am sure that you will enjoy those performances.