Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote:Do let us know what you think about the sonics and, of course, the music.....
well the sonics are a victim of the "loudness war" I'm afraid but I was aware of this before I purchased. The sound is clear and detailed but the top end is a tad harsh. That said, I didnt find the vinyl version to be fatiguing although it is 'louder' than it should be I feel. I'd bet that the cd version is probably a lot worse. I'd be afraid to recommend it to be honest. Whereas this new release probably brings out a lot more detail and clarity over the old one, some may find the sonics too compressed. I guess if you find the original release too muddy, this one might be worth considering.

As for the music, well this one is my favorite Stones album after Let it Bleed and given that the last time I listened to it was on cassette in the mid 90's, its very refreshing to listen to it after all this time.
Enjoyed reading your summing up with a little bit of history thrown in....Enjoy!
JAW

Post by JAW »

This is tickling my ears tonight

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

Continuing with the Stone's theme....

cybot

Post by cybot »

Finishing with Brendan Perry's new and old - 2 albums in 11 years!?!?

fergus

Post by fergus »

I'm lovin Lenny....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Gave this a run tonight:

and I'm actually pretty impressed with it. Must hunt out some of his other stuff.

and, well the next one is a bit sad. I had read about this guy through his assocaition with Tom Waits at one time. I never saw anything by him until one day I was in tower a while back and there it was for abotu a fiver. Took it home and never put it on. So being in a Tom Waits humour tonight after picking up this weeks' Mojo mag (thanks for the heads up Ivor) I thought nows the time! So its actually much better than I thought it would be - you can totally see the Tom Waits thing going on, I wonder who had the idea/sound first....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Triple Lp edition....hard to find and expensive! For track listing see link below:

http://www.beehivecandy.com/2008/05/nic ... ld-me.html

CD review from Amazon:
This 44 song collection contains the complete home recordings of Nick Drake. The back of the CD states that all material is previously unreleased in this form. The songs on disc one are primarily other songwriters' material and are also available on the CD titled "Tanworth In Arden 1967-68". Disc one also contains a track titled "Nick's Monologue" which is three minutes of Drake speaking into his tape recorder, interesting to hear simply because it is the only known recording of Drake speaking. Also noteworthy is the version of "Joey" which Drake performs on a twelve string guitar for the first and only time according to the liner notes. Disc two contains studio recordings of "Time Has Told Me", "Saturday Sun", and "Thoughts of Mary Jane" and guitar tracks of "Black Eyed Dog" and "Rider On The Wheel". The majority of disc two consists of home recordings of Drake's original music. One of my favorites is the version of "Place To Be", which has a guitar part that is radically different than the studio version on the "Pink Moon" album. The fingerpicking on this version is unbelievable in its precision and I only wish that film existed of Drake playing so I could see it with my own eyes. There are two home versions of "Parasite" included which document Drake's experimentation with the guitar arrangement for the song. In addition, there are several different versions of an instrumental titled "Brittle Days" which Drake plays variations of on piano and guitar. I had read of his meticulous work on his music and the repeated versions of this instrumental are proof of the tinkering he did with his songs. The package contains brief liner notes written by guitarist Scott Appel. I admit that I am a Nick Drake completist and bought this mainly to hear more of his guitar work than is otherwise available. Due to the high price of this CD I doubt that someone unfamiliar with Nick Drake's music would purchase this collection, but as a general warning to the uninitiated these are demos of varying sound quality and I wouldn't recommend this to a newcomer to Nick Drake. If you are a die hard fan though, this is a worthwhile purchase.

Single Lp edition and still easy enough to get...