What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Hello all

Still giving Doctor Who most of my attention, but I have embarked on a mini project. Onto my iPod I have loaded some of my favourite Mahler recordings. I am playing all the symphonies through in order for the first time. It makes the journey to work much more exciting....the recording are (conductor and orchestra noted only):-

1. Kubelik/BRSO
A masterful performance.
6. Abbado/BPO
My favourite version of the Sixth, it's wonderful.
8. Solti/CSO
Lovely.
DLvdE. Haitink/RCO
That's my favourite performance. The Haitink/RCO performance of the Ninth is simply wonderful too.
9. Karajan/BPO
Which one? The live or the studio recording?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ the live one Sean
Jared

Post by Jared »

Variations on a Theme by Paganini op.35
Variations & Fugue on a Theme by GF Handel op.24
4 Ballades op.10

1st Listen.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphonies No. 60, 61 & 62

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Doráti - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I might (finally bite the bullet and) invest in that set in the New Year, Sean... I'll see how things go.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ I might (finally bite the bullet and) invest in that set in the New Year, Sean... I'll see how things go.
I think that it is a splendid set Jared. While the individual recordings might not prove to be my favourite performances of these works they are very fine indeed and gives one the opportunity to listen to all of Haydn's symphonies and that can only be a good thing, definitely recommended by yours truly.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vinyl....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

More vinyl; Beethoven 1 & 8 with The Hallé/Barbirolli....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

On CD (he, he)

A rare recording that alternates Bononcini and Purcell sonatas with Jaap Schröder.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:^^ I might (finally bite the bullet and) invest in that set in the New Year, Sean... I'll see how things go.
I think that it is a splendid set Jared. While the individual recordings might not prove to be my favourite performances of these works they are very fine indeed and gives one the opportunity to listen to all of Haydn's symphonies and that can only be a good thing, definitely recommended by yours truly.
Sean, I'm completely sold on the concept of owning this set. It's a question of the initial financial outlay, but mainly the time required to give a body of work of this magnitude, the serious listening time, which it would deserve. Most of July and August was given over to the String Quartets, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but exhausted by the end... and the Symphonies are about 50% again in length!

One day my friend... one day.