Higgs boson captured!

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
fergus

Higgs boson captured!

Post by fergus »

There was great excitement in the scientific world yesterday with the announcement that the Higgs boson had been captured in CERN; see the Irish Times article....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 26889.html

It seems to have been a truly momentous event in Science. I appreciate the occasion but I do not pretend to understand it all. I wonder what Simon, the Forum’s Resident Physicist thinks of it all and whether you would be able to give the layman’s version of what has been achieved?

Very coincidentally I started reading Dan Brown’s “Angels and Demons” last weekend for some light entertainment.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Re: Higgs boson captured!

Post by Diapason »

Well I'm long out of physics, but I was quite excited about it all nonetheless. When I was at college we heard a lot about the "Large Hadron Collider" that was being built and how it was hoped that that Standard Model would be completed, so it's nice to get a sense of closure on that!

I can't remember enough high energy physics to even pretend to have a really good grasp of it all, but I assume that once upon a time I understood it well enough. I won't insult you by trying to give a layman's version of events that I only half understand now. For me, the thing I really enjoy about it all is the incredible interaction between theoretical physics and experimental physics on this one. It's a massive triumph for both sides of the discipline.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Actually the "Non-technical overview" on the wiki page is worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Actually the "Non-technical overview" on the wiki page is worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
Super article Simon, thanks for that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Well I'm long out of physics, but I was quite excited about it all nonetheless. When I was at college we heard a lot about the "Large Hadron Collider" that was being built and how it was hoped that that Standard Model would be completed, so it's nice to get a sense of closure on that!

I can't remember enough high energy physics to even pretend to have a really good grasp of it all, but I assume that once upon a time I understood it well enough. I won't insult you by trying to give a layman's version of events that I only half understand now. For me, the thing I really enjoy about it all is the incredible interaction between theoretical physics and experimental physics on this one. It's a massive triumph for both sides of the discipline.

Yes indeed, I though that the whole thing might get your synapses firing all right. Thanks for the like; I will have a look at that later.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I attended a conference last year where CERN presented on LHC, very interesting with insights into both the sceince and the control systems.

You can watch the talk at http://icalepcs2011.esrf.eu/programme/Keynotes It is the one from Guido Tonelli.

Also check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18708741 for more sub atomic particles
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Tertonmike

Post by Tertonmike »

"We don't serve faster-than-light particles" says the barman.
A Higgs' boson walks into a bar.
"Music is the antidote to the world of pain and sorrow"
mick

Post by mick »

Tertonmike wrote:"We don't serve faster-than-light particles" says the barman.
Good one.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Tertonmike wrote:"We don't serve faster-than-light particles" says the barman.
that's pure class...!!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....