Mahler Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"

Diapason

Re: Mahler Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:I suppose that both you and Gustav were not flavour of the month!!!
Not exactly, no. My (admittedly rather lame) comment that the awakening probably had nothing to do with the music went...unanswered. I was really enjoying things up to that point, though.

Like many, I find it hard to know where to start with big, large-scale romantic symphonies a la Mahler. Unless I "know" them already or can spot the more memorable tunes off the bat, I find them hard to follow. My only method is to let them wash over me enough times that I can start to get some placeholders and build my understanding around it. It's rare that anything captures my imagination on first listening. Alas, this is a time-consuming way of listening to things and time seems to be at a premium these days, so I've a few box sets of unexplored music just waiting on my shelves. The more dynamic it is, the less likely I'll get to listen to it. Unfortunate but true.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Diapason wrote:Last night reminded me why I don't really listen to this music so often. The dynamic swings were such that I was constantly working the volume control, and it all ended with an awake baby anyway...

Very interesting........."dynamic swings" ..new vocabulary for me which describes exactly an aspect of CM that I have found difficult (at least to date) to come to terms with, never mind 'like' ! (Listening at low volume being my thing.) Maybe I'll post on this in the 'Newbie' thread later rather that derail your discussion!
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:
Diapason wrote:Last night reminded me why I don't really listen to this music so often. The dynamic swings were such that I was constantly working the volume control, and it all ended with an awake baby anyway...

Very interesting........."dynamic swings" ..new vocabulary for me which describes exactly an aspect of CM that I have found difficult (at least to date) to come to terms with, never mind 'like' ! (Listening at low volume being my thing.) Maybe I'll post on this in the 'Newbie' thread later rather that derail your discussion!
It is the awsome dymnamic range of Mahler's music that I find so appealing.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:

It is the awsome dymnamic range of Mahler's music that I find so appealing.[/quote

Sean, maybe I jumped the gun a bit there in my enthusiasm for new vocabulary ! On reflection, I can think of a few and hope to arrive at a greater appreciation of the quality that you find so appealing.....but maybe I'll leave Mahler for later :)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

dhyantyke wrote: Very interesting........."dynamic swings" ..new vocabulary for me which describes exactly an aspect of CM that I have found difficult (at least to date) to come to terms with, never mind 'like' ! (Listening at low volume being my thing.) Maybe I'll post on this in the 'Newbie' thread later rather that derail your discussion!
You might enjoy Early or Baroque music if dynamics aren't your thing, since they don't general have such swings. I *like* the swings when I have the house to myself, I must admit!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Diapason wrote:
dhyantyke wrote: Very interesting........."dynamic swings" ..new vocabulary for me which describes exactly an aspect of CM that I have found difficult (at least to date) to come to terms with, never mind 'like' ! (Listening at low volume being my thing.) Maybe I'll post on this in the 'Newbie' thread later rather that derail your discussion!
You might enjoy Early or Baroque music if dynamics aren't your thing, since they don't general have such swings. I *like* the swings when I have the house to myself, I must admit!!
You're right. I am having a very satisfying explore through Vivaldi, Pergolesi, et al as advised on the 'Newbie thread'. Today's listening including recordings by Scholl and Mingardo