Mahler Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"

Seán

Re: Mahler Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"

Post by Seán »

Thanks Jared.
bombasticDarren wrote:^^ I have to say that I really love the Bernstein VPO recording. Unlike Jared I would recommend Tennstedt (especially the thunderous live recording)

Other than that you have fine taste!!

;-)
Thanks Darren, my first Mahler 5 was Tennestedt's and I did not like it at all, my second was a loan of Bernstein conducting the VPO and frankly it left me cold, then came Karajan...Oh wow. this is in a league of it's own! Compare and contrast the BPO under HvK with the "same orchestra" under Abbado a few years later where he, Abbado, is conducting the Sixth: what a contrast!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Could that mean its Klaus's fault I never warmed to Mahler....??

After "Educating Rita" I always felt vaguely left out......
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote: Unlike Jared I would recommend Tennstedt (especially the thunderous live recording)
if you are referring to his EMI boxset, the 8th was the undoubted highlight for me... the 3rd was also good, but I remember thinking at the time that there were better 2nds around...
Jared

Post by Jared »

jaybee wrote:Could that mean its Klaus's fault I never warmed to Mahler....??

yes, I've often had images of Sean collapsing on the CMG sofa with his hand to his forehead, exclaiming 'Wouldn't you just die without Mahler'?

he he he
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
jaybee wrote:Could that mean its Klaus's fault I never warmed to Mahler....??

yes, I've often had images of Sean collapsing on the CMG sofa with his hand to his forehead, exclaiming 'Wouldn't you just die without Mahler'?

he he he
Well, Duke Ellington and Gustav Mahler, if I am being honest.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: Well, Duke Ellington and Gustav Mahler, if I am being honest.
can't remember Julie Walters' highly-strung, depressive flat mate saying anything about Duke Ellington... but I could be wrong; it's a long time since I've seen it... ;-))
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote: Well, Duke Ellington and Gustav Mahler, if I am being honest.
can't remember Julie Walters' highly-strung, depressive flat mate saying anything about Duke Ellington... but I could be wrong; it's a long time since I've seen it... ;-))
No she didn't, we are talking about my innermost soul here lad. I don't remember much about Educating Rita to be honest and I guess that's a good thing.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: No she didn't, we are talking about my innermost soul here lad.
I think it took me until my 40th year to rescue my inner soul from the relative mediocrity in which it had been immersed... I would never have imagined 5 years ago, that I would have been playing Bach's AotF and Puccini's Il trittico in the same weekend...
Claus

Post by Claus »

I gave this a listen last night and I was blown away! Being a CM newbie, I have only heard very little Mahler: I remember trying to stay awake during "Death In Venice" back in the student cinema, with the Mahler soundtrack I had no urge to go out and seek out his works.

I will now move on to the 8th. Thanks!
Jared

Post by Jared »

Claus wrote:I gave this a listen last night and I was blown away! Being a CM newbie, I have only heard very little Mahler: I remember trying to stay awake during "Death In Venice" back in the student cinema, with the Mahler soundtrack I had no urge to go out and seek out his works.

I will now move on to the 8th. Thanks!
another Mahler convert... how gratifying... :-)